5. Awkward

AN- It was so nice to see so many people liking this story @once! Thank you! :D
Their first conversation. Let's see how Jason deals with it!

Annasophia Robb as Annabeth on the side>

*******

Emotions.

Weird things, those were. People knew what the basic ones were: sad, happy, angry etc. But then, emotions have so much within them, like, angry could be pissed off angry or happy angry or sad angry. Emotions...they were a powerful thing, and Jason was trying to woo back a girl who's mom ruled via those emotions.

A truly scary thought.

Jason tried to read Piper's face (or rather, her eyes). What was she feeling at that moment? Sure, he'd tried to be all 'I don't care about our past' macho and shit, but the truth was, he was scared.

Her expressions changed at lightening speed: surprise, shock, happiness, joy, relief, hesitation, anger, blank- and her kaleidoscopic eyes made them swirl even faster, so much so that Jason literally thought he was getting sucked into a hurricane.

"Hi, Jason...what a pleasant surprise." She replied. It looked as if saying those words made her sick. Definitely she was not pleasantly surprised.

Then Jason saw a tiny blond head peeking at him from behind Piper's legs, and he forgot everything else.

Josh was, as Annabeth put it, cute and adorable. He had shaggy blond hair, and Piper's eyes: turning from blue to green to brown in a matter of seconds, never resting at one colour. He had nice pink lips (no makeup obviously), the kind of lips that would make you want to do anything he wanted, if he even slightly pouted. He had his full set of teeth except the two front ones, which has probably fallen recently.

Jason's heart melted. He knew he was a goner.

Meanwhile, Piper had turned to Leo and Percy (very effectively shutting him out: she must really not like him). Jason knelt down to one knee and held out his hand.

"Hey, there. What's up?" He began, really casual. Josh looked wide eyed, and then gave a shy grin, before tentatively shaking Jason's hand. Jason took that as a good sign.

"What's your name?"

"Josh."

Jason grinned, and was about to let it be at that, when he had a brilliant idea.

So, obviously Piper had probably started using her maiden name, but Jason was curious to know what she's told her kid. Correction, their kid. It was way too easy to tell a kid you were living alone with since he was a baby, literally anything. Had she told him about his dad?

"What your full name? You have one don't you?" Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Piper stiffen.

Josh nodded vigorously.

"Mommy says its Joshua Leo Grace."

It was all Jason had to keep him from pumping his fist into the air.

"Really? And what's mommy's name?"

"She says its Piper McLean. I find it silly."

So she was keeping her maiden name, but had respected him and allowed Josh to have Grace.

"I know, right? Its silly." 

Piper had turned, and even though he couldn't see her, he could feel the waves of hostility rolling off her.

"What's your name?" Josh asked, still holding Jason's hand. Jason smiled and ruffled his head, making it even more messy.

"Its Jason."