Chapter 14

The domain's high officials and the daimyo are in convocation for their military strategy when a guard barges inside the room taking everyone's attention after breaking his news. Lord Kagemitsu slams his fists on the table in anger and the officials are hushed.

"Hyakkimaru escaped from his room?!" the daimyo snarls.

"My lord, there was because of an infiltrator. He helped the young master escape."

The daimyo's fists curl into a ball, ignoring the murmuring officials and their glances. His disappointment is so high that he has to release it somewhere else.

"An infiltrator, you say?" he confirms and the guard nods. "Where is Tahomaru?"

"The second young master and his friends are last seen yesterday afternoon."

Lord Kagemitsu thinks, Lady Nui has informed him that their second son did not come home last night the same with Mutsu and Hyogo. He has a tiny bit of doubt that Tahomaru has something to do with Hyakkimaru's escape because he has never been that loyal to him. Tahomaru's loyalty lies with his older brother. Despite this, the daimyo did not fully expect him to have the guts to betray his wishes.

After the meeting, he goes back to the castle and orders a few samurai to find Tahomaru.

"What's happening?" Lady Nui approaches him when the samurais left.

The daimyo looks at his wife and frowns. "I ask them to look for Tahomaru and his friends." he says in a flat tone which made the lady tensed.

"You're not thinking he is behind this, aren't you?" she surmises, the lord shrugs and walks away.

"My lord! Please, not Tahomaru!" she begs.

"Silence!" he faces her. "Both of them will face my punishments once they got back. Not because they are my sons they can flee from the consequences of their actions. Hyakkimaru will remain my heir but I won't let him get away with this. Tahomaru too, that brat is the only one who has the nerve to defy me for freeing his brother." the fuming lord declares.

"But Hyakkimaru," the lady tries to change his mind. "He dedicated his life to be the excellent heir that you want him to be. He has never disobeyed you and is a responsible young man even though...even though..." lady Nui tears up . "It costs him his freedom and happiness. He was trying his best!"

The daimyo is silenced, pondering the words of his wife.

"I am sure he has a reason for doing this, he believes in Dororo, the lady he loves. Just please, trust in him, trust our sons!"

Lord Kagemitsu glances at her and grunts. "Still, it will not change my mind. That bandit clan is over now." he walks and Lady Nui is left dispirited. A mother who is worried about her children. She looks above and prays to the goddess of mercy, begging to keep Hyakkimaru and Tahomaru safe from the war and the rage of their father.