A Whim

Emma kicked her feet up into the air. She stretched out on the couch, humming a little tune she learned from Ray a while back. The only other sound coming from the room was the sound of Norman's pen behind her as it sketched at the papers on his desk. The hum from Emma's lips never stopped as she stared at the ceiling and took in her surroundings.

It's not like she was trying to be lazy on purpose. No... She could only be this carefree because the cattle children were all free now. Rescued. Helped. ensured of a peaceful life.

After remaking the promise years ago, the cattle children were free. All were free... except Emma's family. Emma is still living in the demon world along with the rest of her family. It was of their own free will to stay in the demon world. They wanted to watch over the demons. Understand them. To be friends with intelligent demons so long as they don't try to eat any humans.

And so far... it was great. Emma was now 18 years old, and ever since the cattle children escaped, no living human was ever lost to a demon since. Of course, it wasn't always this peaceful. Norman has been working hard at keeping the demons in check. He's constantly in his office working on keeping his family safe from demons- both stray and intellectual.

But... it was so boring. Emma was constantly cooped up in the jaw of the lion with her family under Norman's watch. Sure it was safe, and she had her family to keep her company, but Emma craved adventure. She wanted to leave this place. Not just for a week like with some of her outings with Ray, but longer.

"Emma, are you bored?" came Norman's soft-spoken voice from his desk. It was considerably deeper from the time they were kids. Not only that, but Norman's grown much taller. Still, there were some features that stayed the same, such as his kind smile and his, unfortunately, weaker body.

"I'm just thinking..." Emma said, not sparing him a glance. She continued humming for another minute over the sound of Norman's pen before Norman's voice came from behind once again.

"Well? What are you thinking of?" Norman asked her. She could hear that he's put the pen down. Even without looking, she knew that she had his attention.

Emma turned around on her stomach to look at Norman. "Well, I was just thinking that the demon world is pretty safe now," Emma told him, "Children aren't getting eaten anymore, and we have all the time in the world."

"True, true," Norman said with a little hum in his throat. He picked up his pen and once again started writing.

"And since we have so much freedom now, I just think I'm getting a little lazy," Emma continued with a sigh, once again rolling on her back and kicking her feet up into the air.

"You could always go on one of your explorations with Ray," Norman suggested, once again putting his pen down. He put a hand under his chin and smiled at Emma. "You love going on those, don't you?"

"Yeah, but it's not the same!" Emma moaned, turning to face Norman once again. "Ray and I are only gone for a week at most, And even then, we're only gone to get supplies and stuff."

Norman's eyes grew the tiniest bit wider. He slowly sat up in his seat and crossed his arms. "...Then what are you saying?" he asked her in that deep voice of his. "You want to go out for a longer period of time?"

"That's right!" Emma said confidently. She loved her outings with Ray the most these days. She's always wanted to stay out longer, not that she ever had the chance to.

"Emma, that's too dangerous," Norman stated matter-of-factly. "If you leave for that long, how will we know you didn't get eaten up by some stray out there? More importantly, where would you even go?"