She imagined the great gates in the fence being opened for the King’s birthday and other special occasions and all the occupants of the city, maybe half a million people, flooding in, with no-one daring to remain outside in case they were marked by agents of the King for being unpatriotic. Then having to stand there for hours, cheering and clapping, with no food or water to see them through the day while the soldiers drilled and marched. And all the while the King and his family would be standing on the balcony, smiling contentedly at the total control they had over their people.

     The King was there now, she saw. Gloating over his moment of triumph. There was another man standing beside him, also dressed in royal finery. Prince George, she guessed. The man she had once been pledged to marry to seal the peace between their two countries. All a sham, she now knew. King Nilon had only pretended to agree to the marriage to hide the fact that he intended to invade Helberion, urged on by his adoptee advisors at the urging of their Radiant Masters. She wondered what kind of life she would be living now if the marriage had actually taken place. Probably not a pleasant one, she guessed. The adoptees would have had to find another pretext for a war with Helberion, in which case she would immediately have become a hostage to be used against her father. Strange though it seemed, therefore, Darniss might actually have done her, and Helberion, a great favour by blessing her. She glanced across as the woman sitting opposite her but said nothing. Her former matron had been motivated purely by ambition and greed, she knew. Her hatred of the woman remained as strong as ever.

    The carriage came to a halt in front of the palace gates and the Captain of the Palace Guard opened the door for her. He also had to help her out, to prevent her stumbling without the use of her hands to steady herself, and Darniss and Silva exited behind her. “The King has ordered you to be taken to the Great Hall,” he told her. “You will await him there.”

     “He'll probably keep you waiting for an hour or two,” said Silva. “It's his way, they say.”

     “If he has to resort to such tricks in order to establish his dominance over his guests," said Ardria, though, "what does that tell you about his confidence and sense of security? Right here, in his own palace?”

     “I advise you, Your Highness, to be careful what you say. There are some who seek to ingratiate themselves with the King by conspicuously punishing those who are, how shall we say, insufficiently respectful.”

     “Thank you for your advice, Captain Silva. You have been kind to me when you had no need to. I will remember that if some happier day finds me able to show my gratitude.”

     Captain Silva nodded, and the Captain of the Palace Guard move in to lead her away. He then leaned closer on the pretence of checking that her manacles were secure. “You are the hope of Carrow,” he whispered in her ear. Ardria tensed up in astonishment, then forced herself to make no reaction. “We merely wait for the day when the power of the army is broken. If Helberion has proven costly to conquer, that day may be near.” He then straightened and turned to the house guards emerging from the palace. “She is yours,” he said. Their leader nodded and led her away.

     Darniss and Silva made to follow her, but another house guard approached them. “Captain Silva, you are directed to return to Tibre. Colonel Hemdall is no doubt eager for you to resume your duties there.”

     “The King will want me to deliver a report on the Radiant attack on the train,” said Silva, though.

     “There was no Radiant attack on the train. You were deceived. No doubt a ploy by Helberion agents to sunder us from our Radiant allies.”

     “That's ridiculous! The Duchess here can confirm it, as can the Princess herself. The King must be told! He must be made aware...”

     “You spoke to him personally by telegraph, I doubt there is anything you can add to your rambling and incoherent account. Helberion agents deceived you. A final, desperate ploy to avoid defeat. Now be about your duties.”

     Captain Silva stared in disbelief, but he couldn’t disobey without being arrested and charged and so he merely spun on his heels and marched to the palace stables to borrow a horse.

     “And what about me?” demanded Soonia Darniss. “Am I to be dismissed to some far flung corner of the country too?”

     “Not at all,” said the house guard, smiling. “Lord Krell is waiting for you in the South Wing. After you have refreshed yourself from your journey he will debrief you, and then see about returning you to your family. No doubt your daughter is eager to see you, and you her.”

     “And when I have been debriefed, will the King see a copy of the report?”

     “Of course,” smiled the house guard. “What he will make of it, though... From what I've heard, the story you have to tell is quite fantastic! Will you allow me to escort you to the South Wing?”

     “Lead on,” said the Duchess dismally, and she allowed herself to be led to a smaller doorway some distance from the palace’s great main doors. It almost looked like a servants’ entrance.