Chapter 9 • The Mnemosyne

Start from the beginning

Cael nodded, thinking that was more thought out than initially anticipated. "I intended for there to be a cheesy answer, but...that's good." 

"You're a pretty cynical dude," Garver said, amused.

"At this point, I have a right to be." Cael fell silent then, his thumb hovering over the keyboard. He had put in a password, but neglected to put in a username. When his thumb began to move, Cael wasn't even sure what he was typing until was able to read it and soak it in.

"HarrisD47?" Garver questioned with a raised brow. Cael didn't know what to make of the instinct to put his real name from his old life instead of the name of the man he has lived as recently. "Should I...call you Dominick or something?"

Still too soon.

Cael shook his head and registered the account. "Nah...just Cael." There was a ping! sound from Garver's tablet, and Garver checked it. Garver authorized the account through his control panel before closing out.

"Alright. No Dominick. Anyway, you'll be able to contact anyone from the Drey. Text, call, holographic video. And everyone will get a notification that a new user is on the interface, just as a precaution." Cael nodded and scrolled through the built-in contact list. As he was doing so, he received a notification of a message. "Damn, already?" Garver started to get up and move the rolling chair to the desk.

Cael clicked the on the notification:

15:43, ValanReeku:
I see that Garver has shown you the Drey.
Welcome.

15:43, HarrisD47:
Reena?
Thank you, Garver seems to be very proud of himself.

15:44, ValanReeku:
He's always proud of himself. And yes, it's Reena.
Why'd you use your real name instead of Cael?
And my Pro-Oct number...

The last text she sent gave him pause; Cael hadn't even realized that he used the number. 

15:47, HarrisD47:
I guess because everyone seems to know me as Dominick, so...using that.
And I didn't even realize that I did.
Also...ValanReeku?

"Cael?" Garver called. Cael looked up from his palm, and Garver looked about ready to laugh. "Dude, you're turning into me when I'm in your class. Or any class, for that matter. Which reminds me, you think Sabin would let me drop out now? Kinda got the goods in the bag already."

"I'm concerned that you referred to me as goods, but I think you should ask Sabin about that, since I take it that he's paying for your tuition. Looks like I won't be there my damn self."

"He is...I feel like he has more money then he lets on. Anyway, you should get cleaned up. The showers are all the way down the corridor and to the right. You slept in for some time, and we hoped to get started with stuff as soon as possible. Meet us in the study and we'll go from there." 

Cael obliged him with a nod and was left to get himself in order. He received another message from Reena then.

15:51, ValanReeku:
"Valan" means fearless in Alusi. "Reeku" is a combo of my name and Raiku.
Don't judge me.

Cael didn't reply to the message, but he was left smiling about how corny that sounded.

•     •     •     •     •