Day 13. Saturday, Waxing Crescent

Hunter could not, under no circumstance, come down from cloud nine. Thursday he had met Grayson for overpriced coffee in the school bookshop between classes. Friday they had texted back and forth for hours. And today, on a beautiful overcast afternoon, they were marathoning an old tv show in Grayson's room. Hunter found this vastly significant because A)he was finally seeing another dorm room for the first time, and B) He was going to be in a private setting with Grayson for the first time.

They had only kissed once, and Hunter was hoping for a repeat performance. He headed off to the Marconi building with a bag full of snacks, his part of the bargain--Grayson supplied the place, Hunter brought the food. From the time they had spent together, Hunter garnered that Grayson was still on the fence about consuming anything too sugary, so he kept things light.

Grayson didn't share much more about his eating issue, but he did seem more interested in learning about Hunter. It was a delicate dance. There were some things he simply could not say, and he did his best to fill holes with logical explanations.

As far as Grayson knew, his Lycanthropy was actually just a lovely cocktail of illnesses--Photophobia for his light sensitivity, a herniated disc for his back pain, and fibromyalgia for his muscle spasms and medication. Grayson took it all in strides, promising to do what he could to help. A normal response, but it seemed to mean more coming from him.

Grayson was nice. The sort of nice that came from a sheltered upbringing and an open mindset, a rare combination as far as Hunter was concerned. Long ago he thought he had met someone with a similar disposition, but that turned out to be a farce. He shook his head as he passed the Grimwald building. A familiar scent filled his nostrils and he stopped dead in his tracks. Garou was exiting Grimwald. He dressed in a three-piece suit, instantly making Hunter think of Lugosi, the only other professor he has seen in such formal attire. Garou carried with him a large duffle bag over his shoulder. His vermillion eyes fell on Hunter.

"Mr. Reeds." They stood several yards away from each other, with Hunter in the middle of the lawn. Still, he could hear the older gentleman perfectly. There was a building desire in Hunter to bow his head and show his respect. He fought the urge, his teeth sinking into his lower lip. They were not wolves with a pecking order. They were human beings. "Hi, Mr. Garou." The words sounded wrong coming out of his mouth. Don't look him in the eye, a voice inside him instructed.

Garou sniffed, one nostril twitching. His gaze was nothing if not piercing. "I will take it by your surge of pheromones that you are meeting someone?"

Hunter flinched. He had not been expecting that. "Well, yeah."

"The effect of meeting one's mate is always obvious."

Hunter raised an eyebrow. "Mating? Do you really believe in that?"

Mating, the idea that he had a chosen person to immediately bond with seemed both wondrous and preposterous. It was true that many of the Lycan couples he knew were first-and-only loves. Just the same, his estranged parents told him that the opposite was true. Wolves mated for life. People broke up and met other people all the time.

"I believe in many things, Mr.Reeds. In life, you will find that truth can be stranger than fiction."

Hunter shrugged. They were both werewolves living in the 21st century after all. "I suppose you're right."

Garou adjusted his hold on the duffle bag. "I hope that you put as much effort into your studies as your...other activities."

Hunter was grateful for his dark skin. It hid his blushing well. "I, uh, I'll do that. Have a nice day, professor."