A scream made her yaw her gaze to her mother, just in time her left hand dropped to the ground.

Jolted awake, Maryam placed a hand on her thundering heart. She gasped for air, which passed through her lungs painfully, leaving her keen for a much calmer one. Shutting  her eyes close, she rubbed her temples soothingly whilst she exhales. Again, chief had invaded her nightmare. How unfortunate, her mother is already dead and she told herself there's nothing worst than that that could happen to her. It still made her heart bleed and her head pound to think of it, but there's nothing she could do to change the agonizing truth.

She glanced at the clock, it's 5:25 in the morning. Knowing very well she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, she strolled to the bathroom. After a long hot shower, she performed ablution and prayed Subh salat. When Maryam was done with her Azkhars- supplications, Zeenah stired awake. She smiled at Maryam and limped to the bathroom to also get ready.

*****

"Madam is out. She won't be back until much later." Zeenah stated as she gently closed the door she had been peeking behind for the past thirty minutes. Maryam stopped fidgeting with her fingers and turned her attention back to her, then nodded.

They waited a few more minutes, to reach the estimated time the cook will start preparing dinner.

"Don't stress yourself. Everything will go as planned and we'll be out of here before you know it." Zeenah assured, placing a comforting hand on Maryam's shoulder. She would be lying if she said she isn't  scarred. She was rummaging through her suitcase for a journal when she found the leftover of the Ambien, she knew it's her prayers being answered and she'll be a fool not to atleast give it a shot.

Maryam assisted Zeenah, who's broken leg is still casted and they ambled to the kitchen.

Zeenah cleared her throat to gain the attention of the cook who was humming loudly to a song whilst she muddled up the sizzling contents in the huge pot. She narrowed her eyes at them and raised a brow.

"Madam said to call you. She's in her room." Zeenah mentioned, smiling to ease her nervousness.   

The cook didn't utter a word for what seemed like an hour, just starring at then blankly and Maryam was starting to think  she could see behind their lies. Luckily, Zeenah came to their rescue.

"She's about to go out. Don't make her wait." Zeenah laughed. "Don't worry I'll mix this for you. I can mix for a living." She added chirpily, snatchihg the spoon and pushing her out of the room. Maryam shut the door right away with a relieved sigh.

She emptied the contents of the sedative and mixed it like her life depended on it. She sure can mix for a living as some if it managed to drip on the stove. Now all they have to do is hope every one eats the food.

*****

It was a little pass eight in the night when the house grew quiet, which meant everyone is asleep. Everyone that ate the food that is. Their belongings had already been neatly packed. Maryam tiptoed around, to comfirm if everyone was asleep. When assured, she signalled to Zeenah and they took off.

They had made it outside the front door, they were struggling with the locks of the gate when they heard footsteps approaching.

"Who's there?!" Maryam hastly pushed the door open, slipped Zeenah's hand on her shoulder and used her other hand to carry their stuffs.

"Get back here." The voice roared. "I'll get you two!" He huffed and went back into the house. He's probably going to get a gun. Maryam thought.

"We won't make it." Came Zeenah's thin voice which Maryam surprisingly didn't miss. She tightened her grasp around Zeenah's waist and kept moving forward, ignoring her comment.

Suddenly, Zeenah removed her hand around her neck and stood on the ground. Maryam shot her a confused look as her eyes dart from her to the house, they had barely walked any distance. She can't be tired.

"Go Maryam, we won't make it together. I will delay you because of my leg." Maryam shook her head vigorously at what she said and forcefully grabbed her hands.

"Listen Maryam, I'll be very very mad at you if you don't do this. I want you to do this for me. I  gave this all I had to work, we might never get out of here ever again." Zeenah unclasped her hands around her arm. "This is your chance, a chance for you to survive. Someday we'll meet again, don't worry about me. I'm happy to be the reason behind someone's freedom." She cupped her wet cheeks.

"Don't just run, hide somewhere till morning. Because they might catch up with you." She smiled sadly.

"No!" Maryam sobbed, shaking her head.

"Go." Zeenah pushed her gently.

And she did.

*****

You guys are not commenting, and it's really heartbreaking on my side😩💔 I need to know what you're thinking, suggestions, corrections, anything! A simple nice chap or update soon😬

Don't forget to vote also, your amazing 😍

Assalamu alaikum.

Aeeeshatuhxx