Matters became even graver when Mrs Spencer followed Mrs Banes into their meeting. Mrs Banes looked utterly perplexed at the scene before her. Mrs Spencer looked absolutely livid.

Katy knew how inappropriate this was. She knew she had no business speaking to an earl, no matter their previous meeting. There was such a thing as rank for a reason, and Katy would never willingly cause problems for the people she loved.

"Ah, Your Lordship," Mrs Spencer remarked, putting on a false smile, and a sweetness to her voice. "I see you have met my dear friend's orphan." Her eyes flicked to Katy's as she spoke the last words. It was almost like receiving a smack. "How charitable of you to make it around the ball thus, and to give your time to even the lowliest of Wilshire residents."

Eliza's hand tightened in Katy's, and she felt her friend tense as Katy's shoulders fell.

"Actually, Mrs Spencer, I was just about to ask Miss Fairchild to dance," said Harry through clenched teeth. He turned back to her, and he extended his hand. "Would you do me the honour, Miss Fairchild?" His eyes were imploring her to accept.

Katy was still confused by him, but she could not deny that his impression of his own innocence did have her torn. There was more to the tale, she was certain of it, and she knew now that she was partly at fault as well.

But under no circumstances could she ever dance with him. "Forgive me, but I must decline," Katy said politely, and as indifferently as she could. She knew it was very rude to decline an offer, and she had to do so with a genuine excuse. "I had a fall a fortnight ago. I am afraid I cannot dance."

She did not wait to hear his response. She quickly curtseyed and pulled Eliza away from the party. There was nowhere to escape but outside, which was where she dragged Eliza. When they were finally out of the hot ballroom and out into the cold February air, Katy let out the breath she had been holding.

Eliza, too, let out a laugh. "Oh, Katy!" she cried excitedly. "Was that not wonderful? And you broke his heart, too." She clutched her chest. "So tragic!"

"I did not break his heart," Katy snapped. "Be serious, Eliza," she scolded. "Do you not see how impossible this is? Did you not hear Mrs Spencer? What will your mother think?"

"You certainly did break his heart," Eliza countered. "I saw his face when you refused him. Poor Lord Wilshire has eyes for you, you mark my words," she said confidently.

Katy huffed.

"And never mind Mrs Spencer. I certainly don't," she continued.

Katy stared at her. "Of course, you can afford to not mind her. I, on the other hand, offend her by existing. Can you imagine what this will do?"

Eliza's face softened, and she cupped Katy's face with her gloved hands. "Katy," she said firmly, "you have nothing to worry about. Mrs Spencer will never consider you as a rival to Emilie. And neither will Mama," she said confidently. "She had blinders on when it comes to marrying me off."

Katy could not be as confident as Eliza. While she appreciated her friend's assurance, Katy was almost certain that Harry, or whatever his name was, had just created a very big problem for her.

"What are you girls doing out here?"

Mrs Banes had joined them, warming her arms from the cold. She still looked as shaken as she had been only minutes ago, and she was watching both girls curiously.

"Just getting some air, Mama," replied Eliza effortlessly.

Mrs Banes nodded. "Well, go inside before you catch a chill," she instructed.

icon lock

Show your support for Laura, and continue reading this story

by Laura
@littleLo
Katy Fairchild is an orphan and knows that no respectable man will ma...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 27 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @littleLo.