➶chapter forty-three

Start from the beginning

Sweet Pea stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders.  Sweet Pea, Fangs, Jughead, and I were all engaged in conversation.  It finally felt like a safe and peaceful time for the serpents. We were all taken from our thoughts when FP stepped up onto a mini platform.  FP was already a tall man, so I guess being up another few inches meant that he had some sort of announcement.  "Hey, listen up!  Some sixty years ago, the very first Serpent meeting took place on these same riverbanks.  And it makes sense that is where we gather now, where I..." he said pausing for a second and then facing towards Jughead.  "Where I say my goodbyes.  Jughead, would you step up here, son?" 

Jughead stepped up onto the platform and just whispered, "Dad, what are you doing?"

"What I should've done a long time ago.  I'm retiring from the Serpents. For real this time"

All of the serpents started groaning and murmuring under their breaths.  FP looked like he was taking this very seriously. Sweet Pea, Fangs, and I all exchanged looks with one another.  The Serpent King was retiring, but now we might just have a new Serpent King ready to take the mantle. 

That could be Jughead Jones.

FP got everyone's attention again and we figured FP had more to say.  "Dad..." Jughead said, but FP cut him off by patting his chest

"But my boy...My boy has never stopped fighting for this crew.  Hell, he almost died for it.  That's why I'm giving you the mantle"

Everybody began clapping and cheering for Jughead.  He was going to be the Serpent King.  Probably the youngest one in Serpent history, but if anyone was ready enough to replace FP Jones, then it was Jughead Jones. I joined in clapping for my brother, Jughead Jones - The Serpent King - and Sweet Pea and Fangs were also clapping.  Sweet Pea slapped Fangs on his back and Fangs groaned in pain.  I punched Sweet Pea for hurting Fangs, but then we all just started laughing together.

"Thank you dad" Jughead whispered

"Speech! Speech!" I shouted and everyone shouted the same thing after I did

Jughead quieted everyone down.  "The Southside Serpents are not going anywhere on my watch.  Fighting for the Serpents is something I will do until the day I die" Jughead said picking up a duffel bag from the ground behind him.  He held the bag closed, but then he said, "And now, as my first official duty as Serpent King... Sweet Pea, Toni, please join me up here"

Sweet Pea gave me a confused look, but I looked over and saw Toni smiling as she walked up.  Was Jughead already appointing his number two serpents?  I stood next to Fangs and gently clapped as Sweet Pea walked up to the platform.  He stood on the right side of Jughead and Toni stood on Jughead's left side.  All three of them stood tall and firm.

Jughead slightly opened the bag and said, "I think you both know what to do with these"

Sweet Pea turned to look at me and he held out his hand.  I cautiously walked up to the platform.  I saw Cheryl walking up to the platform as well. However, unlike me she was walking confidently up there.  As if she knew what was happening. 

Rebel Without A CauseOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara