a fresh start

a fresh start was all eddie ever wanted, he had been through so much trauma and hurt that a new start was what he needed. Derry was his do over, his escape from the past. As he traveled through the school halls he tried to get rid of every thought of his old life out of his mind, new beginnings, new beginnings, new beginnings he repeated over and over in his mind, he made his way down to the school office to get his schedule so he could attend his first class before the bell.

after asking the lady at the front desk about his classes he was directed to the principals office. he knocks the door lightly then and when he hears an "enter" from inside the office he opens the door and sits in one of the two empty seats.

"so edward, i have your schedule here but i wanted to have a little chat before you head off to your first class" principal clarke says with a grin. eddie gives a simple nod in response.

"so since you're the new kid, i've arrange for you to have a tour of the school but you'll be having someone else join you on your tour"

"another new kid?" eddie perks up, he won't have to face being new all alone.

"yes, he should be here any moment then your guide, stanley, will show you two around."

eddie just smiles and nods again, he's happy he won't be the only new kid. having another new student is basically a guaranteed friend for him which means he won't have to face this scary new school alone. while still waiting for this other new kid to arrive eddie fidgets with the hem of his shirt sleeve as his leg bounces up and down, these are traits that eddie picked up just before he moved.

suddenly the doors swings open and in walks the other new kid. he's wearing black ripped jeans and a graphic tee, his hair is curly and wild, he has dark circles under his eyes, his jaw is sharp and his cheek bones are very prominent.

eddies jaw drops he shakes his head in disbelief, it can't be.

"kaspbrak what the hell are you doing here" the boy says looking at eddie with an angry stare.

"i could say the same to you richie"

for the past ten minutes the boys had been listening to principal clarke introduce them like they were strangers. the two could not be further from strangers, the relationship between the two of them used to be great, it was the best thing either of them ever had but now there was just hatred, lots of hatred.

"so this is were you'll both be taking chem" stanley said while pointing to an empty classroom.

richie looked over to every place stanley pointed out but eddie couldn't seem to move his stare from richie's face. not much had changed about the boy but then again it had only been one summer since they had last seen each other.

"and to end the tour this is history..." stanley looks down at his watch "... the bell for second rings in ten so if you guys want to just wait here since your in this class next anyway"

"yeah that's fine stanley" eddie responds still feeling rather tense.

"please call me stan, also you have your lunch at the same time as me, and some of my friends, if you want to join. you too richie" stan smiles and the heads off before waiting for a response.

eddie wished that stan would have stayed but now he has to face the angry teen behind him.

"you left me, you ruined everything i had and then you left me" richie says in an angry tone.

"you think i wanted to leave?" eddie responds back just as angry.

"you shouldn't have made my friends hate me, you made them hate me." if they weren't in the school right now richie swears he would have been yelling at the top of his lungs.

"they weren't your friends, they were horrible people  i just made you aware of it" eddie says raising his voice a little.

"you could have went about it other ways, you didn't have to tell them that i was you know..." richie's voice breaks towards the end of the sentence.

"geez they already knew richie, they just needed the confirmation and i gave them that."

"eddie you're just as fucking bad"

eddies face is wiped of all colour how could he compare him to those horrible people.

"i-i how the hell was I"

"you basically outed me eddie, i wasn't ready for that and you should have known that"

eddie feels nauseous, he remembers everything that had went down that day and he remembers how he never wanted to say those things about richie but it just happened so fast.

"richie i'm sorry okay, i never meant for it to go down like that"

"how did u mean for it to go down then eddie" richie asks still as angry as ever.

"I wanted you to stop hanging around with them, i told you they weren't good people, they treated me like shit, they were cruel to other people and i told you all of this and you didn't listen, i wanted my best friend back rich. I didn't mean for it to come out and after i did it i felt so guilty and i wanted to take it back but i couldn't. i was just so sick of the bulling and tired of the constant tormenting that i had to say something. i thought we could go back to how we used to be, but then my stupid mother dragged me to derry and you don't understand the guilt i felt richie. i really want you to forgive me"

"no" is all richie can reply with.

before eddie can get the chance to plead some more the bell rings and student come gushing out of the classes almost sweeping eddie of his feet. both boys dash into the history class and take seats on opposite ends of the room not daring to look at each other.