Act 3: Deuce of Psyche

"You're really gonna compete?"

"Of course, Lilia! It will be fun!"

Lilia sighs and continues walking with Yukio to the mess hall. A few performers can be heard laughing and talking, as well as silverware clinking. They enter the hall, watching as a group of performers mix their food together, making some kind of hideous slop on their trays. Lilia gags at the sight, and Yukio giggles a bit.

"How many cusos do you have?" Lilia asks.

"15. Enough for a large soft pretzel."

"I have 10. Enough for 2 milk cartons and a thing of cheese."

"Meep?" Boni peeks over Yukio's shoulder, eyeing up the meat.

"I think, if you do your pleading eyes, they'll take a liking to you," Yukio whispers to her. The three of them get in line.

"This food actually looks decent," Lilia says, surprised.

"What'll you have?" A lady croaks, wearing a plastic shower cap and rubber gloves.

"A large soft pretzel, 2 milks, and a small container of cheese please," Yukio tells her, smiling.

Boni crawls down Yukio's arm and onto the counter. She sits pretty and gives the lady her best pleading eyes.

"Meep?"

The lady smiles a bit. "A few slices of ham for the Kaiten," she says, petting Boni's head. Yukio takes their tray and finds a seat away from the other performers.

"Did you hear about the Extravaganza?" Lilia asks, munching on a piece of pretzel.

"Yes, I have. The Deuces are training for it."

"You met them?"

"Yeah. They all seem so different."

"I see. What did they tell you about it?"

"It seems like during the Extravaganza, anyone can compete in the Arena, with anyone they choose. Usually, only performers who take the test can compete. They have to be from Jestare, too."

"Wow. I've never really seen the Arena in use."

"Me neither."

"Hey, Liliana!"

"Stop calling me that!"

Blade walks over, accompanied by Zeus.

"Miss H wants to see you, dude," Zeus says.

"Really?"

"Yeah, man. You gotta choose your name and your Element."

"And the test," Blade adds. 

"Yeah. To see how high your rank is."

"I see," Yukio replies. "What's your rank?"

"The ranks are letters. There's a lot."

"Name them!" Yukio says, smiling.

"Okay. D, Dx, C, Cx, B, Bx, A, Ax, S, X, Y, and Z is the highest. D through C is Basic, Cx through A is advanced, and Ax through Z is Deuce level abilities. The highest rank is Hikarui's. She's a Y ranked Deuce."

"We had a Z rank once," Zeus continues. "He was the most powerful Deuce to grace Silver. His element was something crazy too."

"I think he was crazy," Blade adds. "At least, that's what we've been told."

"Yeah. They almost had to make a new rank, he was so good."

"And they built him a totally isolated room in the basement."