Chapter 10 - Calm before the Storm

Start from the beginning

"Gimli, where is the king?" The Dawrf nods to the hall, and I race off after Aragorn as he swiftly jogs over, despite just falling off a cliff. He is near the entrance when I catch up, speaking to Legolas.

"Le ab-dollen." The elf looked up and down the Ranger. "You look terrible."

I moved past them, towards the doors, turning at their absence. I can see Legolas pass Aragorn something, the look on the rangers face clear relief as he looks down into his hand. It was the Evenstar. I smiled slightly, as he joined me, before tossing the door open and entering the room. 

Theoden stood up in surprise, staring at the man he believed to be dead. 

~~~

"A great host, you say?" The King looks at us, as I nod in confirmation.

"All of Isengard is emptied."

"How many?" Aragorn looked down.

"Ten thousand strong at least." Theoden turned, looking incredulously at the Dunedain. 

"Ten thousand?"

"It is an army bred for a single purpose..." Aragorn started.

"To destroy the world of men." I finished.

Theoden stands still in shock, trying to process the information we were delivering. I look to Aragorn, letting him deliver the final blow.

"They will be here by nightfall." We wait for his response, nearly jumping at his sudden, resolute walk out of the hall.

"Let them come!"

We race after the king down the stairs, as the King barks orders to Gamling.

"I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms to be ready for the battle by nightfall. Gamling nods, before heading to enact his King's wishes. We soon stand outside the gates, Theoden discussing his plan of action. 

"We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the Deeping Wall or set foot inside the Hornburg!" Gimli, looking nearly bored, speaks up.

"This is no rabble of mindless Orcs. These are Uruk-Hai. Their armour is thick and their shields broad.

Theoden stands taller, shoulders puffing out.

"I have fought many wars, Master Dwarf. I know how to defend my own keep." He walked inside the gate, up onto the walls, leading us across to look at the vast expanse. 

"They will break upon this fortress like water on rock. Saruman's hordes will pillage and burn. We've seen it before. Crops can be resown. Homes rebuilt. Within these walls, we will outlast them."

"It is not a matter of outlasting them!" I say,frustrated at his naivety.

"They do not come to destroy Rohan's crops or villages. they come to destroy it's people... down to the last child."

Theoden turns, walking into Aragorn's space, whispering harshly.

"What would you have me do? Look at my Men. Their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end as to be worthy of remembrance."

Aragorn steps closer to the King, his face desperate.

"Send out riders, my lord. You must call for aid."

"And who will come?" He lashed out, "Elves? Dwarves? We are not so lucky in our friends as you. The old alliances are dead."

I stepped forward in protest, but Aragron interrupted before I could begin.