Saying Goodbye

"So, Amy, I want you to come straight home after school so you can finish packing" my dad explained. I nodded in response. Why doesn't my dad understand that today is the last day I'm going to spend with my best friends? He wants me to come straight home after school, even though I would prefer to go to either Kathy's or Rose's house to spend a bit more time with them! I mean, it's not really asking for much, is it? Anyway, he won the argument yesterday, so I was forced to come home after school. I finished the last spoonful of my cornflakes and quickly went to pick up my bag. God it was heavy! Probably all the presents I had packed for my friends and favourite teachers. I walked outside and felt the cold hit me straight away. At least it would be warmer in America. I began running as the green school bus came into view. That was another thing that would change; I would be seeing yellow buses rather than green buses. I hopped onto the bus and went to my usual seat in the middle, at the top. I closed my eyes to rest. It had been very chaotic these past few weeks, and right now all I wanted was a good sleep.

"AMYYY!!!" I woke up suddenly to the screaming voice a few metres away from me. "OH MY GOD AMY! TODAY'S YOU'RE LAST DAY! I'M GONNA MISS YOU SO MUCH!" Yeah, that was Kathy for you. Screaming even when you're right beside her.

"Thanks for reminding me" I replied dryly. Why was I in a mood? I shouldn't be angry with my best friend who I won't see for the next couple of years at least. "Sorry, Kath. I was just a bit scared when you woke me up."

"It's fine. Apology accepted. I'm just so sad that you're leaving me. I mean, you're my best friend, and I'm gonna miss you"

"I'll miss you too Kath. But ill phone you every week and whatsapp every single day, no matter what." I promised. She grinned at me and then pulled out a collection of wrapped gifts. "What the..." I began.

"Presents! All for you! Come on, open them up." I nervously started opening the presents. She had got me seven presents, whereas I had only gotten her four. Oh well, Kathy's not like that anyway.

By the time I had opened the first three, I was speaking with joy. "Oh my god Kath! I love them!!" She had wrapped a necklace with our names engraved. I hooked it around my neck as I admired it. The next was a guide for American high school. It looked quite funny and as I flicked through the pages, I laughed at some of the stereotypical statements. Kathy had also given me The Maze Runner series, the Mean Girls DVD (best movie ever) and Lady Gaga's album. I hugged her after repeatedly telling her how much I love the presents. She explained how the last two were joint presents from Rose as well and how we should wait until we got to school to open them.

**********

At school:

Kathy and I ran up behind Roses and screamed in her ear. "AHHH!" She exclaimed "Amy, Kath! What the hell was that for?"

"For being my best friend" I replied with a smile spread across my face. She smiled and we all agreed to go up to our form room. As I walked in I squealed in delight.

"Surprise!" my entire class shouted. There was a massive cake at the front of the classroom and everyone had jumped out from under the desks.

I just stood there in utter shock. Everyone was smiling, there were thousands of sweets scattered everywhere and I noticed a massive cake at the front of the classroom. "Wow!" was all I could manage. People started speaking rapidly to me and all I could do was show them my thanks.

**********

Later:

"Three cheers for Amy!' Kath exclaimed. It was the end of the day and everyone was hanging around to say bye.

"Hip hip.... HOORAY!! Hip hip.... HOORAY!! Hip hip.... HOORAY!!"

I tried to hold back the tears as I said my goodbyes and listened to everyone's good lucks. It obviously didn't work and I ended up looking like a waterfall.

The worst was when it came to Kath and Rose. "Amy, you know I will always be there for you? And we will always be best friends!" Kath managed from the tears.

"I love you so much Amy. Good luck!" Rose almost cried out. We stayed there for a while, which was when they gave me the final presents. It was a scrapbook filled with photographs of all of us and some of our funny stories and inside jokes, and also a picture frame with a photo collage of us. I had already handed my presents to them earlier, but they were no where near as special as what I had received. When it came to the end, I turned around and decided that maybe it was time for a new start.

A new start in California.

**********
Hey, I just wanted to encourage you to read on, because this isn't exactly the best chapter, but the next few are much better!