It became quite a joke for Eliza and Katy to listen in on these conversations. Even though Eliza found the whole ordeal hilarious, Katy could not help but be curious about this man, whom every lady in the village seemed to think the world of.

"And what are you two girls up to?"

Eliza and Katy, while listening at the door of Mrs Banes' sitting room while she met with Mrs Spencer, jumped in fright. Mr Banes had come up silently behind them, newspaper in hand, ready to go up to his study for the day.

"Oh, Papa, we are just so curious to hear of any news regarding Lord Wilshire," Eliza cried, clutching her father's lapel dramatically.

Mr Banes saw through his daughter's theatrics immediately. "You would do well to give the poor boy a chance, Eliza," he said firmly. "I think him a good lad, and I would give my consent if he asked."

At that moment, the sitting room door opened, and Mrs Banes emerged with a glad smile, followed by Mrs Spencer who did not look as pleased.

"Oh, Eliza," remarked Mrs Banes gleefully. "I am glad you are here, for Mrs Spencer has brought me such news."

Mrs Spencer looked as though she had sucked on a lemon. Or perhaps that was because Katy was privy to this conversation. Katy ignored Mrs Spencer and focused instead on Mrs Banes' news.

"Saturday next there is to be an assembly!" she said excitedly.

Eliza put on a false smile and gave her mother the reaction she had been looking for. "Oh, how exciting!" she cried, clapping her hands together.

"A public assembly?" asked Katy. Why, if it was public, then she might go as well. Katy would be well enough to attend by next Saturday, she hoped. Perhaps she would not be able to dance, but she still might be able to get a glimpse of the now famous Lord Wilshire.

"Yes," muttered Mrs Spencer.

Now Katy realised why Mrs Spencer was displeased. Not only would she be competing with the surrounding nobility, rank, and wealthy for the attention of the earl, she would be competing with everyday ruffians as well.

Nonetheless, Katy was glad. It had been a long while since there had been a dance that she had been permitted to attend.

"Mr Spencer tried to persuade Lord Wilshire that perhaps a private ball would be best to introduce him into society, but he insisted that a public ball be held instead," Mrs Spencer explained regretfully.

Something told Katy that Mr Spencer had little to do with that conversation. Regardless, what a kind thing for the earl to do. She was starting to really believe the accounts of him. Why, at a public ball, even Katy might be able to be introduced to him. What an exciting to notion to be an acquaintance of an earl!

"With your leg, Katy, I would advise you stay home and rest," Mrs Spencer added, nodding down at Katy's legs. "We wouldn't want you to injure yourself further."

But Eliza clung to Katy's arm and said, "Oh, no, Katy will be there, you mustn't worry, Mrs Spencer. The waltz is a slow dance, is it not? Surely you could manage that one with Lord Wilshire, Katy?"

Katy's cheeks were quickly crimson. She knew Eliza was only trying to vex Mrs Spencer, but she had managed to embarrass Katy in the process. What an idea! She could never stand up with an earl.

Eliza got the reaction she wanted when Mrs Spencer's eyes flared. Mrs Banes scolded Eliza as she led her friend towards the door.

"You mustn't tease, Eliza," Mr Banes added with a wry smile, which told the girls that he found the exchange just as amusing.