Chapter 1

Disclaimer: The incredible art displayed above was not created by me, and all credit goes to the artist who made it. 

Aelin Ashryver Galathynius braced her hands on the balcony and leaned out, breathing in the fresh air from the city. Spring had finally arrived, and the brightly coloured blooms had begun to burst all throughout the city, delicate green shoots peeking out from underneath glistening white snow. The kingsflame was present as always, a blanket of golden fire spread wide across the landscape. Their fragrant scent reached Aelin all the way up at her quarters, her Fae nose now able to detect things she never would have discovered in her mortal body. Behind her, sprawled across the mess of bed sheets, lay her husband, mate, and carranam, slumbering deeply on the enormous bed. She allowed herself a small smile at the sight of the powerful Fae male so peaceful and unaware. So few were allowed to see this gentle, kind side of him.

Turning back towards the city, she surveyed the clear skies carefully. All around her the sounds of the waking city arose, a cart full of goods rattling in the distance and the snap of shop windows opening. Today, the people of Terrasen were up earlier then usual, herself included. King Dorian Havillard, Lord Chaol Westfall, Lady Yrene Towers Westfall and the Queen Manon Crochan were visiting today. Aelin didn't think she'd ever anticipated a day as much as she had since she'd heard of their visiting.

"I see you've decided to wake up early for once," drawled an amused voice behind her. Grinning to herself, Aelin turned around to find King Rowan Whitehorn Galathynius awake, propped up on a stack of pillows and running a hand through his sleep-mussed hair. It was a running joke between them by now, as Aelin had gotten up early to watch the city every morning since her coronation, regardless of the day ahead. Rowan often said that the city wouldn't self-combust in the few hours she would miss if she slept in. Aelin often said that he could go shove it up his ass.

"I decided that today was special enough to merit the effort," she quipped, stepping off the rose-covered balcony and back into the bedroom. The light from the slowly rising sun was already beginning to enter the room, illuminating patches of marble floor. Aelin made her way over to the bed, a slight skip in her step. Maneuvering herself around the mess in their chambers, she reached her mate and slid into the covers next to him, snuggling in close. Although it had been several months since the coronation and the duties that had ensued, she had soon enough found that being a queen got irksome after a while. She had come to treasure the rare moments she could spend alone with her mate, tired but wholly herself.

They remained curled up together as the moments of comfortable silence stretched on, and Rowan had almost fallen back asleep before Aelin shifted so that she was facing him and silently conveyed the words she knew she didn't have to say.

Do you think it will be different?

For the silent fear had plagued her as well after she heard who was to be coming. She knew he had understood what she meant from his eyes; what if things were strange between them and their friends, after all they had been through? What if every time she talked to Dorian she saw his anguished face as he was torn from the dimension in which she had forged the lock, if all she saw in Manon's gold eyes were the dead faces of her Thirteen, if the sight of Chaol walking into her home made her think of another castle, made of glass and poised to shatter? They had gone to war for each other, with each other. How would it be, for them to be placed in a normal setting all together for once?

Rowan shook his head and held her gaze as he traced a gentle finger down her face. She could already see the answer in his eyes.

No. They love you too much for it to ever be like that.