5. I've Decided We're Friends Now

Start from the beginning

"God, I forgot how much I couldn't stand cocky puppies." Leah snapped back at Bella while rolling her eyes. She looked at Jacob as he dropped from Bella's truck. "Jake, Sam wants you on the rez. He says you should run with Seth tonight. Show him the ropes, I guess."

"Alright, whatever." Jacob jogged to the edge of the woods. He paused for a moment, then yelled back to the girls, "You need time for girl talk or what?" He disappeared in the woods before anyone could respond.

"That's two." Leah said out loud.

"Two what?"

"Two times I'm gonna bite his scruffy ass."

Bella laughed. "What was the first?"

Leah shrugged. "Every infraction earns him two. He's so slow I can get away with both of them. Why not take advantage?"

"That's a good point. I'll remember that. So what are you doing out here?"

"I'm not entirely sure, but I think my dad has been pestering Sam." Leah shook off her leather jacket. It wasn't necessary, not for the temperature or for road rash, but Bella had a feeling that Leah thought it looked cool. "Let's run the perimeter? Sam wants us to check for ginger bitch."

"Victoria."

"That's what I said."

Bella snorted. "Alright, let's do a quick run."

Leah left her jacket across her bike. They walked to the backyard, stripping behind the tree line. A year ago, Bella would have been far too shy to get naked in front of anyone, even Edward. Now, she wasn't shy at all. In fact, she was kind of proud. It was always better when it was just Leah and Bella, because they didn't have to hide from the boys' eyes. They did their best, but they were still teenage boys. The girls dropped their clothes in a small pile fifty feet in from the edge of the woods, and they took off running.

So, what was it like on the run? Bella's golden eyes peered into the shadows of the woods.

Peaceful. It was just months of no one else in my head but me. Leah's ice blue eyes scanned the forest in the opposite direction, using their link to check where Bella was not. Anything?

No, you? Bella didn't wait for an answer, she could sense the no from Leah. You haven't taken down a vampire yet, have you?

Nope. None of us have. The last time we detected strangers, you know how that ended. Bella thought about the cold scar on her hand. Sorry,Leah cringed. Didn't mean to bring it up. Leah let her tongue hang out, looking at Bella. The two looked like twins running through the forest. So, how's it feel?

Bella refused to ask.

Come on Bella, how's it feel?

Bella sped up.

Bella!

What, Leah?

How does it feel to chase your ex's sister?

Bella snarled. Well, Victoria hasn't been out here. I'm heading back. Bella raced home, dressing quickly. She walked out of the woods towards the house while Leah got dressed.

"Bella, I was kidding!" Bella lifted one hand and flipped Leah off without turning around.

Leah ran, catching up to Bella by the porch. "So, you gonna invite me in, or what?"

"Is this a date? Don't you owe me dinner first?"

"A date? I already saw you naked!" Bella accidentally smiled. Leah took advantage and said, "Last time I checked you only had eyes for that pretty blonde ice queen."