Wishes and Promises

Start from the beginning

"You're really craving for pasta, huh?" I commented on her while placing a napkin on my collar.

She laughed silently, cupping her hand on her mouth, as her shoulders went up and down. "I've to apologize in advance as this place is too formal, but I have to dig in," she said in an attempt to sound dignified.

When she was about to twirl the pasta with her fork, Val's phone suddenly buzzed. She was hesitant to pick it up at first but then I told her she should answer it. I already had the hunch on who it was anyway.

She smiled then excused herself. But as she read the text message, her lips quickly curved into a frown. She typed a reply then scrambled to her feet. She still shot a smile to me but before she pivoted to the opposite direction, I caught a glimpse of sourness and anger on her expression. She stepped out of the door which was conveniently only about five feet away from our table. My eyes followed her as she placed the phone against her ear. She tried hard to keep her voice down but I was cursed with a keen sense of hearing.

"What do you mean you can't make it? I thought you filed for a vacation leave that date?"

It was the first time she melted down like that. I stuffed a piece of steak to my mouth and concentrated on chewing.

"You're doing it again," I heard Val say with her voice trembling.

The call must've been cut on the other line because when I peered at her direction again, she just stared at the empty space in front of her, then removed her phone from her ear and locked the screen. I looked down on the mashed potatoes on my dish and played with it until I heard the door swing open, hitting the little bell hanging on top, and Val's footsteps approaching. She sat back down and I didn't have to say a word as the tears welling up on her eyes and her flustered face told everything. It was James who called, no doubt about it. It was only him who could summon storm clouds over her sunny days. But I could see that Val chose to be strong, in that she still smiled and didn't bring it up until we were in her house.

"I can't believe him. He knows Carley's birthday's next week and showing up to the party is the least he could do."

I breathed deeply. I didn't want to be biased on my words, and even more, I didn't want to sulk on seeing her being so affected still by her ex-husband's actions. I just focused on a solution. "Let's just do the best we can to throw a party that Carley and her friends will enjoy. Don't worry too much, okay?"

Val nodded and finally relaxed. I put my arms around her and let her lean her head on my shoulder.

"Thank you. For being here," she said in her most sincere voice. I hugged her even tighter, as I couldn't find words that could express that I felt grateful to have her by my side, too.

At dinnertime, Carley joined us and there returned the looming invisible wall that pronounced itself so coldly. A sphere that I couldn't fully step into. She and her mom were chatting as usual, about school mostly. I tried contributing to the conversation, inserting some corny jokes here and there. Carley replied but only after having hesitant eyes and pauses. It was then that I remembered she was a smart girl and that she was also observant and careful to be civil with me. She was just ten years old but like her mother, she was sensitive to other people's predicaments. And that her kindness was often overshadowed by shyness.

After finishing her food, Carley remained in her seat a few minutes more, reading her mother's mood. Then, she spoke. "Is Dad coming to my birthday?"

Val almost choked on the morsel of chicken meat she just put in her mouth. She then mustered up the fewest words that she knew would answer the little girl's question, without hurting so much. "He'll be away on a business trip that week, dear. But the next month, he promised to take us on a picnic or the amusement park."