prologue

═════ ∘◦ ♥ ◦∘ ══════

o. puppy love
═════ ∘◦ ♥ ◦∘ ══════

"He smiles at me, and I don't say anything. I cant believe i'm such a jerk." Molly Ringwald groaned, banging the back of her head off a wall in aggravation.

   "C'mon, Molly." Olivia Clarke whispered sarcastically, popping a piece of buttery popcorn in her mouth. An unbothered grin remained on her face as she stared at the movie theater screen in front of her.

   Next to her, Steve Harrington held the same exact grin, only his eyes were transfixed on the girl rather than the screen. He whipped his head away from her, though, when she turned to him.

   "She's such a lovefool." she continued quietly, making Steve look at her once more.

   "Jake Ryan is hot." he spoke in response.

   "Jake Ryan is hot." she repeated, smirking.

   "Hey, you weren't supposed to agree." he grumbled, furrowing his eyebrows.

   "Oh, are you j-"

   "Shut up!" Dustin Henderson shushed from beside Olivia, "I'm trying to watch the movie!"

   The movie theater was almost completely empty; only the trio, a middle aged woman, and a elderly man and his presumably teen granddaughter occupying the large space.

   "Fine." Olivia muttered adjusting herself in her seat. A silence rang between the trio, only the sounds of the movie and popcorn being chewed filling the quietness.

   They were currently at the Hawk theatre, a place that would be closing shortly due to the opening of the Starcourt Mall. The Starcourt Mall was a brand new addition to Hawkins that contrasted the rather drab town. Advertisements showcased neon lights and trendy stores, along with a deluxe food court and brand new movie theatre.

   Though Olivia was excited for the mall to open, she couldn't help but feel upset that the Hawk theatre was closing. She, Steve, and Dustin went there at least once a week to catch a showing of Sixteen Candles or Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Not to mention all the times she and Robin would chastise Vincent for dropping his popcorn or yell at Keith for getting Cheeto dust on the leather seats.

   "-over. Hello, earth to Olivia!" Dustin called out, waving a hand in front of Olivia's face.

   "What?" she questioned, blinking.

   "The movie's over! Can we go now?" the boy groaned. Olivia narrowed her eyes in shock at the credits rolling down the large screen. It felt like only moments ago she'd been watching Molly Ringwald reluctantly give Anthony Michael Hall a pair of her underwear.

   Olivia's thoughts were once again interrupted by a hand on her shoulder. Her eyes moved from the hand to Steve, who awkwardly retracted at her gaze.

   "Sorry, um, let's get going. Dustin's waiting in the lobby." he coughed uncomfortably.

   "Yeah, sure thing." she responded, standing up. The two walked out of the theatre towards the lobby to see an impatient Dustin tapping his left foot on the ground.

   "I have to wake up at five thirty, five thirty, tomorrow. We're wasting precious sleeping time!" he scolded as the two older teens approached him.

   "Aw, Dusty-Poo, I don't want you to leave me." Olivia pouted as they pushed through the doors into the parking lot. The weather was gorgeous; not a cloud nor a raindrop in the sky. The air had just enough warmth to it that Olivia felt like she belonged in a teen romance movie. The sky was a hazy shade of pink that slowly faded into purple. It was only the beginning of the summer of 1985, but each member of the trio knew something about it was special.

   "I'll be back in a month. You'll just have to use Lucas as your third wheel." Dustin sighed. He was headed off to 'Camp Know Where,' a science summer camp where he could be his nerdy self.

   "Then again-" Dustin whispered to Steve as he opened the backseat door on the driver's side of the latter's red BMW, "-you wouldn't want Lucas hitting on your girlfriend."

   "Get in the car." Steve groaned, shoving the boy.

   "What?" Olivia asked as the older teen slid into the seat next to her.

   "Nothing, nothing." he replied breathlessly, shakily pushing the keys into the ignition. After a few minutes of driving in silence, Olivia reached towards the radio, allowing the sound of Paul Anka's 'Puppy Love' to fill the car.

   "And they called it puppy love." his voice sang sweetly as Steve's car sped down the street.

   "Oh, I guess they'll never know," Olivia continued, pretending to hold a microphone as she stared into the backseat at Dustin, "how a young heart really feels."

   The car came to a stop in front of Olivia's house, and Steve turned down the music.

   "Here's your stop, lover girl." he chuckled.

   "Thanks, Steve. Hey, i'm gonna' miss you, Dustin. You better not let some bimbo you find at Camp Know What replace me." she joked as she got out of the car.

   "Never." he laughed, "Bye, Olivia."

   "Bye, Dusty-Poo. Bye, Steve." she smiled as she turned towards her house.

   "Bye, Olivia." Steve mumbled.

   "Just because we're seventeen." Paul Anka continued from the radio as Steve stared at the girl.

   "Come on, Steve." Dustin groaned.

   "I'm going, i'm going." he scoffed, breaking his gaze from the girl.

   "Why haven't you asked her out already?" Dustin asked, leaning back in his seat as Steve turned on his turn signal.

   "What?" the older boy croaked, nearly forgetting to make his turn.

   "Oh, come on. 'Bye, Olivia. I love you, Olivia. Marry me Olivia?' You two make me sick, you know that?" he gagged.

   "It's not-it's not like that, okay? If I wanted to ask Olivia out, I would have already." Steve scoffed.

  "If it makes you feel any better, she totally likes you." Dustin mumbled.

   "Yeah? And how do you know that?" Steve questioned incredulously.

   "The electricity is so thick between you two I almost get electrocuted by looking at either one of you." Dustin replied simply.

   "There's nothing between us." Steve muttered as he drove up the hill towards Dustin's house.

   "Sure." the younger boy said sarcastically, getting out of the car.

   "There isn't!" Steve repeated as Dustin slammed the door.

   "Jesus." he mumbled slouching against the back of the car.

   "This is not a puppy love." Paul Anka sang as Steve drove away into the night.