Chapter 1

Recommended song to listen to for Chapter 1: Gone - The Weeknd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHKfscXS64

Everything started in the summer. It was the summer going into my junior year and I had everything going for me. I had my best friends Normani and Ally by my side and I was looking into art schools for singing and if not that, guitar. I was a great daughter and big sister and I blended in at school. I was on honor roll and had a perfect record. I was a fucking angel. 

And then I met Lauren.

The second day of summer I was bored with nothing to do. Normani had dance class and Ally was hanging out with her boyfriend Troy, so I was all alone. I didn't mind though, I like being alone; it gives me time to think. I decided to go to the park to read my favorite, Pride and Prejudice. I found a nice bench to sit on that had a beautiful view of the lake in the middle of the park. I ended up dozing off since I had been so tired from pulling an all nighted out of excitement for the first day of summer. When I woke up it was about midnight and I had some messages from Normani of some funny tweets she’d seen but nothing from my mom asking where I was. I guess it made sense though, she probably figured I was at Ally’s or something. She trusted me, she almost never yelled at me, and she gave me a lot of freedom because let’s be real, I wasn’t doing much with it. When I looked up from my phone I saw these two girls known for their bad reputations from my school, Lauren and Dinah. Walking with some other kids I didn’t know in my direction.

Dinah had a reputation for her short fuse. She lost her temper over everything, lashing out at teachers and fighting anyone she wanted to because she knew she was going to win. Her other siblings and cousins had the same reputation as her because since there was so many of them in the house the adults kind of just gave up on trying to discipline them. And then there was Lauren.

How can I even begin to describe Lauren Jauregui? 

She was gorgeous. Her pale skin and dark hair made her look like a fucking vampire. Her green eyes pierced me every time they looked in mine. Her jaw, her nose, her cheekbones, everything about her was flawless. She was a genius as well as clever, but she was really intimidating. She was known for breaking people, if someone crossed her thats it; they were done. She would make their life a living hell. She’s made people switch schools and gotten countless suspensions but at the end of the day, she just doesn't care. About anything. Meanwhile I care about everything too much. 

The two of them combined with the other people in their crew had a reputation of drinking, having sex, and getting high. They were careless, impulsive, and irresponsible. They were my polar opposites. 

I could see the group rapidly approaching, I began to gather my things but it was too late. I had already made eye contact with Lauren, and it looked like she wanted to speak with me. 

She was the first to come up to me out of the group. She took her cigarette out of her mouth. “Is anyone else sitting here?” She asked, even though she already knew the answer. 

“No, its empty. I was just leaving actually.” I said trying to make myself sound as cool as possible. 

“Wait why? You have plans?”

“What no, its midnight.” I said laughing awkwardly. “I’m just going home.”

“Stay with us.” She said, it was more a of demand than a request.

“What?”

“Hang out with us tonight. You don’t have anything better to do. It’ll be fun, I promise.” Her husky voice filled the air as her friends just stood quiet, smoked their cigarettes and drank from their bottles. Clearly Lauren was the leader of the pack.