twenty

chapter twenty Germany

chapter twenty
Germany

Ray spent the entire night tossing and turning in her bed. She kept thinking about what Bucky told her the night before, and the mess that they had found themselves in. She did want to go home. She wanted to run away. But where would she go?

Bucky was up the entire night. The guilt he felt for what he had done to Ray was eating him alive. When she was asleep, he would stare at her bruised neck. It took all his strength not to wake her and apologize again and again. He didn't understand why she was still here.

And he did feel guilty for telling Ray about her father. He didn't realize how much it added to her shoulders. He should have waited; he kept thinking. He shouldn't have told her. But he knew that if she found out from anyone else, it would have been much worse. Ray would go up against any one of the Avenger's with no regard to her own safety. She would yell in Steve's face for nothing, she would do whatever it was she wanted.

Bucky was the only would who'd be able to tell her this news without too much of a blow up. Even though it did destroy him to. Though she needed to know the truth.

He just hated how she felt like she didn't belong anywhere. Not even with him.

The thought of leaving her here under Steve and Sam's protection had crossed his mind several times. He wanted to run away, to leave her here. She would be better off. But Bucky was selfish that way. He couldn't part with her unless she did so first. He wouldn't be able to.

When the morning light streamed through the curtains, Steve knocked on the door. "We've got to get something. We're meeting some friends at the airport. There's a chopper there too. We're all going to Siberia."

Ray stirred in her sleep.

"Okay, we'll be out in a minute." Bucky told his friend. Being with Steve again was nice, but he couldn't concentrate on anything but Ray.

His hand shook her sleeping body softly. Ray jumped out of sleep, immediately grabbing her head in pain. Bucky worried. "Are you alright?"

"No."

"We are leaving for the airport. We are going to Siberia. We need to find Zemo and stop him."

"Do I have to?"

Bucky felt his heart break. "No. But I don't know what else to do? They're looking for you too."

Ray nodded. Her face was probably all over the Austrian news channels. She had no choice but to go. So she stood up slowly.

"Ray." Bucky started to say but he didn't know what else to say.

His love turned to look at him. She knew that she had been punishing him for reasons that he didn't deserve. She was being a hypocrite. She knew she had no reason to fear him. He wouldn't hurt her. Not intentionally.