Prologue

~ Prologue ~

As Cara sits on the damp, dewy grass and tangles her fingers with daisy stems, the sun hides behind the tall evergreens. She looks up to see a gradient of colours; deep purple, red, and blood orange, though the sun is no longer positioned there. A strong gust of wind sweeps the paper out of her shaky hands, making her stretch out to the South in order to retrieve it.

All of a sudden she hears voices paired to 2 figures. They are quiet but her ears may pick them up due to her inhumane hearing abilities as a Were'. Now, the silhouettes are no longer shadows, and are in sight. A feeling of both panic and resentment washes over her but is soon gone as she recalls who she is. As the voices became closer, she shoves the paper into her jeans' pocket.

In a few seconds time, the figures halt and one of them makes tutting noises. "I believe hiding is not your speciality, is it, Cara?": she confirms that the voice is of a male's, although she can't see either of their faces due to the absence of light, but it was clearly a mock. "So... If that's not your speciality, what could it be?" The same person continues, pacing around. "Would you help me out with this, Cara?" Her name would have an emphasis every time it is mentioned - the second time only made her wolf angry, for the first time in, perhaps, a year; Cara smiles for a split second until she remembers that she has a question to wittily answer.

"I believe that that is none of your business, but if this is a round of "guess my speciality" then I suppose yours would be your nosiness, since you are more than competent." Cara smirks in victory. It only becomes wider when the 2 individuals growl in different pitches - one is deep & slightly intimidating (maybe to others), and the other is higher, making Cara hold in her laughter at their failed attempt in intimidating her.

She calms down within seconds; she developed the skill of hiding feelings as she got older and, maybe, as her depression grew. Out of the blue, her wolf says "We knew this person before. I don't think he is in or ever was from the South... I think the name starts with an R--"

"Riley?".

Cara's heart beats faster in the silence, not that she wanted or expected any of the reactions. She looks down at her feet, feeling sad realising that the silence confirmed her exclamation. A tear drops from her left eye, and many more would drop from the clear night sky.

"My sweet betrayer... How ironic".