The Upgrade (Chapter Eleven)

Start from the beginning

"The nanotechnology retracts into the boots and into the gloves, also knowns as gauntlets."

"But then what?! My identity will be shown to all that are near me!"

"Ah yes, but that won't happen. Now, hurry up and go home!"

"Got it!" I shoot my grapple and start to swing home. I arrive home and jump through my window. As I jump through, my foot hits the windowsill and I slam face first. "Ouch..." I wince as I hold my face.

"Jarahn?! Are you finally awake? You alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I say. I snatch off my mask and my suit retracts into the boots and gloves. I sigh. I think I have mixed feelings about this suit. I throw the boots, mask, and gloves into my closet and shut it. I pull out my phone and check my messages. 'Karen? How'd she get my number?' I thought.

"Hey, Jaden gave me your number. What time will we be meeting up?" The text read. I smile. It's very rare to see people use actual grammar in text. It brings a smile on my face.

"How's 2?" I text.

"That's perfect, we'll meet at the base."

"That's a copy. (Cool emoji)" I place my phone on the counter and head downstairs.

"Hey, dad," I say.

"Sup. How'd you sleep? You've been knocked out for a bit."

"I slept alright. How was work?"

"Pretty crazy. We had this guy who was threatening people with a gum scraper. I was able to restrain him without tasing him."

"Sounds fun." I laugh.

"I still can't believe you're 14, you're getting old on me."

"Dad, age is just a number. The only difference is...I don't know..." I stop to think. 'Where was I going with this sentence?' I thought.

"The difference is teenage brain farts apparently." My dad laughs. I laugh harder than before. The sound of his laugh definitely makes me laugh even more. "Any plans for today?"

"I'm meeting up with a friend but..." I check my wrist and then my pockets. "What time is it?"

"12:45"

"Well, I have time to spare so I was gonna head to the garage and train a bit."

"Cool, mind if I join?" He asked.

"Of course not. Let's go old man." I say as I run downstairs.

"Who you calling old?" He asked as he rushed down after me. We head to the basement and I find my breakfast from yesterday.

"Whoops," I say. He sees the plate and shrugs it off.

"Don't worry about it. We can toss it after training." After those words, we trained and trained. My dad still can't get over the fact of how much I know. And we're big sweaty monsters. We find ourselves in the kitchen, gulping cold refreshing water and panting. An hour and some minutes have passed.

"Time?" I ask. He checks his watch and speaks.

"Time to get ready for your hangout." He says. I smile and rush upstairs. I enter my room and close the door behind me. I start to undress and think about what I'm going to wear. I throw my shirt into the dirty clothes bin and start to take off my jeans. I trip over my shoe and slam onto my floor.

"Again? Delta, can you hear me?" I asked. A watch beamed through my closet door leaving a hole. It landed onto my bed and she spoke.

"Yes, I am here. How can I be of assistance?" She asked. I stood there in shock. "How?" I ask.