Shen

I pulled out my bag from under my bed. Mom, Mother, and I always had a backpack filled with stuff we'd need in case we had to run. Mine had an extra set of clothes, a pocketknife, dual swords that could fold in on themselves and fit in a small purse I had, a flashlight, a medical kit, a sleeping bag, a radio, a few hundred gold pieces and a few hundred silver and bronze, a reusable water bottle and a pouch of water purifiers, and my glove that Mother had made to fit me specifically. (It was the one that Grandfather Hiroshi had designed, before he died a war hero.)

I threw in a picture of the three of us and put on my adoption bracelet before heading out. There was only one other thing I needed.

*****

The alley was dark and damp. I turned on my flashlight and called, "Shen? Shen?"

A mass of curly blonde hair shot up. "Asami? What are you doing out so early? It's hardly three AM!"

"My mom is missing."

Her grey eyes went from sleepy to shocked, to determined. "Let me pack my bags, we'll make those asses sorry they ever messed with the Sato family."

I grinned. This is why she was my BFF - sure, she and her three siblings lived in an alley, yeah, she was a bit rough around the edges, okay, maybe she didn't have high marks in school; but none of that mattered. What mattered was she was someone I could count on when things got real.

Her school bag was soon emptied. She threw in her other outfit and some food and the ring she always wore. It was her mom's engagement ring. Reminded me a bit of Katara.

"Ready," she said.

"Good."

*****

"Any idea where we're off to?" Shen asked. We were in the nearest train station, and I was looking through maps.

"My mom said she was in Shu Cheng, way southeast of where we are."

"What nation?"

"Earth."

"Good." Shen smiled wickedly, lips pulled tight to reveal her teeth. Absolutely beautiful, until you knew her. Then, you'd know that smile meant your death.

"But, they weren't based there. The Green Lotus isn't based anywhere; they go wherever the hell the please."

"Dammit."

"I know. But they're our only hope. So we're going to Shu Cheng."

"I swear, if we're going off on some long-winded quest -"

"We are."

She laughed. "I'm in."

"You in for all of it, even the bad?"

"Hell yeah."

"Then run. Your brother is coming."

I took off like a shot, ignoring people's glares as I did the Narotu run (Mai had taught me this; it kept my knives in my sleeves.) (What, you really think I didn't get lessons from the Firelady? And her daughter?And all of the old masters and their kids?) (Of course I did!).

"Shit shit shit shit!" Shen whispered as we ran together in perfect pace, outrunning her brother only because she kept Earthbending walls for him to run into. I jumped onto a train, grabbing her wrist and pulling her on with me. "Sorry, Wu!" Shen screamed.

"Where the hell are you going?" He tried to keep pace with our train but failed.

"To find my mom!" I called back, unsure if he could hear it because we'd picked up speed and were now a bit ahead of him.

We walked to the front of the train. "Um, excuse me," I said, using my best manners, "But there's a mistake. My mother had my friend and I down for two first-class seats, but two people are already in them."

"Maybe I could get 'em back. But you gotta pay double price." He gave us a toothless grin. "You got the money?"

I handed him a sack of twenty gold pieces and fifty silver.

He counted the money, nodded, and walked out. A minute or so later, he came back in and led us to a private compartment with two comfy chairs, a sofa, a fridge, and a fake fireplace. "Your seats, my ladies."

"I am not anyone's lady," I scoffed. I hate that term, suggesting that a woman could ever belong to someone. If there's anything Mom taught me, it's don't let anyone think they own you. Ever.

He was shocked. And that was the first time I smiled all day.