Warm Warnings

Ren had noticed a distinct shift in the atmosphere of the group since yesterday, when Pyrrha and Velvet kissed Jaune at the same time.

It was not for the better.

Team RWBY was, for the most part, acting relatively normal. Ruby and Weiss were as happy as can be, but their smiles never reached their eyes.

Blake spoke far less often now, if that was even possible. Yang acted happier, a lot happier than the situation called for. She had a lot of ammunition to tease Jaune, Velvet and Pyrrha with.

She clearly wasn't afraid to use it.

"So lover-boy, have fun with your little harem last night?" Yang asked, eliciting a joy no one could understand. Jaune sighed before replying, he was getting tired of her jokes.

"Yang, you know that this is serious right? It may be funny to you but this isn't a joke to any of us." Yang smiled. "That's exactly why I'm doing it, because it's funny to me."

Jaune glared. "Do you remember how you felt before Blake told you my feelings? Do you remember all the confusion and pain? Velvet, Pyrrha and I are still going through all of that. So would you kindly lay off?!"

Everybody's jaws dropped at Jaune's outburst, even Jaunes. There was a noticeable shift in Yang's mood afterwards as well. She clearly felt guilty. "You're right, I-I'm sorry."

Jaune was overcome with guilt as well. "No, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped like that. It was uncalled for."

No body spoke a word for the rest of breakfast and after a long awkward silence the bell finally rang. Everybody bolted without looking back.

When Jaune arrived in his first class, Mixed Unit Tactics with Professor Ozpin. He was glad to see that he shared the period with none of his usual group.

He sat down next to a black silhouette of a person and let his mind wander before the teacher arrived. Ozpin took a mere twenty seconds.

"Good morning class, I hope you slept well, today we will be focusing on the Grimm's unit tactics." A student put up his hand. "Yes?" Ozpin asked looking towards the kid.

"The Grimm don't use tactics do they? Aren't they just mindless beasts?" Ozpin smiled. "Do you honestly believe that Humanity would be fighting an eternal War with simple 'mindless beasts'? The Grimm use many different tactics, such as… Mr. Arc! Would you care to finish?"

Jaune snapped his head up, completely taken out of his reverie. "Oh, uhmm… yeah. Oh right! The Beowolf variants of Grimm always fight in groups, wherever you find one, two more are always around the corner."

Ozpin nodded, slightly proud of his favourite student. "Correct, Beowolves always fight in packs. Ursa aren't much different, only an Ursa Major will ever travel away from the pack."

He scanned the classroom. "Why is that… Mr. Lark?" The armour clad member of team CRDL looked up from the corner of the room. "Oh, isn't that because an Ursa Major is the name given to an Ursa that has grown overly large? Like a giant Nevermore or a huge Beowolf. If they're strong enough to fight on their own, they will."

Ozpin nodded again. "Very good, now then. I want everyone to open up their textbooks to page three hundred and thirty six and take a look at the diagram in source six-B."

Ren was glad when the bell for lunch finally rang, he may be a smart, honourable warrior that was always willing to learn. But he was still a teenager, and he didn't like to do more than he had to.

Nora was happy either way. "Ooh I swear on it Ren, I swear I saw one."

"Nora, you did not see a dragon Grimm."