The Velveteen Knight

Jaune was in pain.

That was all that registered in Velvet's mind as she dragged him across the courtyards of Beacon. He was hurt and she was the only one who could help him.

It's the middle of the night with dark clouds looming overhead, rain was pelting against Velvet's face and she knew that it would only hinder her progress. Jaune could get hypothermia at this rate, he was already bleeding out.

'How did this happen?' Wondered Velvet as she continued the long haul.

It had been three weeks since Jaune told Blake the truth in the library, and he was still suffering the consequences. Weiss pretended that she didn't care at all, but everyone could see through her. Some nights, Jaune could still hear sobs across the hall.

Ruby had cried and cried into his arms the next morning, he felt terrible for it emotionally, he broke a young girls heart after all. He soon felt terrible for it physically though, when Yang brought out the gauntlets. He still has the bruises.

But despite all of the pain, he felt hollow at the thought of Blake. She still hasn't said a single word to him since that night, and it hurt more than any of Yang's fists of fury.

Pyrrha was upset by the notion of her friends being hurt, but he could tell that she was secretly happy that she was so much closer to having him. Velvet was the same, but she seemed more secretive about it, as if she knew something that Pyrrha didn't.

Jaune shrugged off the thought as he continued through the locker rooms. '636, 636, 636… it's been months now, how come I still can't find my own damn locker? I swear this place was designed by some puzzle enthusiast.' Jaune soon came accross his locker and opened it up to see that his new Scroll finally came.

"YES! I've been waiting for this thing forever. Alright, let's see…" He opened it up by the sides to see the holographic interface display. As he looked into the corner of the screen, something caught his eye. The message button was flashing. "I have a message? But I only just got this thing." He pressed the button to find one new message.

It was from Velvet.

'Velvet? Why would she be messaging me? She shouldn't even know that I have a Scroll yet.' He pressed the display button and read the message aloud.

"Dear Jaune. Please meet me at the entrance to the Emerald Forest, there's something important that I have to tell you. Velvet."

'This is really weird.' Jaune thought as he let his strategic mind take over. 'Velvet has never sent a message on her Scroll before, she always uses written ones, and she always uses her full name as well, never just 'Velvet'. Something's up.' The message was sent with her Scroll's I.D. though, so Jaune decided to see what she needed.

As he left Beacon grounds Jaune gained a feeling of dread. He didn't know why, but he needed to hurry.

When he finally reached Beacon Cliffs, Jaune looked out over the edge. He considered jumping, but decided it would be best if he just took the stairs to the side. Jumping was only for initiation. The sight that reached him when he reached the bottom infuriated him beyond belief.

Team CRDL with an unconscious Velvet.

When Cardin noticed Jaune standing there, he grew a manic grin and laughed. Jaune didn't see his smile, nor did he hear the laugh. All that he saw was red, and all he heard was white noise as his vision soon faded to black.

Blake was upset, she knew that she was being unfair for acting this way, but she simply couldn't stand to be around him anymore.

He broke her heart.