"And do you want to kill Granger?"

"What- No!"

"Justin Finch-Fletchey? Dean Thomas?"

"NO! Why are you even asking?"

"Because if you follow the Dark Lord, that's what you'll have to do," Pansy said seriously, her eyes hard and cold. "One day you'll find yourself staring into a classmate's eyes and you'll have to raise your wand, say the words, and watch them die and know that you did it."

"I...I know that, Pansy-"

"No, I don't think you do!" Pansy exclaimed, causing Blaise to jump slightly. "I don't think anyone here knows that! Oh, sure, everyone knows that they hate mudbloods because they don't belong here and that they want to join the great and mighty Lord Voldemort to carry out his noble cause! It's all very black-and-white, isn't it? I don't think anyone actually realizes who they'd be killing, or that they'd be the ones doing it! It all seems very nice, maybe, but no one recognizes the fact that it's their classmates they'll be fighting! School rivalries and battles are very different things!" Pansy's chest was heaving when she finished, her eyes bright. Blaise could only stare at her for a few seconds before something dawned in his mind.

"Pansy," he breathed, eyes wide, "are you on Dumbledore's side?"

"Oh of course not," the girl replied, standing and whirling away from the couch. "I'm not on anyone's side; I see no need to involve myself in this mess."

"You know that's not possible, you'll have to choose eventually."

"And when that time comes I'll choose the side that best benefits me." There was a slight pause where the only sound was Pansy's foot tapping quickly against the floor, before she spun around again to face Blaise. "Alright, yes, I'm on Dumbledore and Potter's side!" she exploded. "I think killing muggleborns is pointless and stupid! No one in our year knows more than Granger does! Honestly, I think the Dark Lord's just jealous."

"But your father-"

"Yes, yes, daddy's a Death Eater, and look how far it's gotten him! I haven't seen him since winter break last year, and he's been in hiding for months. It's ruining his life!"

"Right," Blaise mumbled, brow furrowed. "But...what's this got to do with Draco and Potter?"

"Oh, Draco's not had a political thought of his own since he was two. The only thing he knows is what's been drummed into his head year after year by his father. And quite frankly, Draco and his father are two very different people," Pansy said, sitting down on the couch again and resting her chin on his fist. "Can you see him trying to kill someone? Or torture someone? The sight of blood makes him sick," she continued, smiling fondly. "I figured he needed someone to knock some sense into him, and who better than Potter?"

"Granger, maybe? A girl?"

"Ha, right," Pansy laughed. "Besides, I needed someone close to Potter who sees what I see happening between those two to help me out. They have a certain chemistry, you know? When they're in the same room, they practically only have eyes for each other, don't you think?" Blaise grunted and shrugged. "Besides, Draco's not really been himself this year, and Potter's almost the only one who can get a reaction out of him. And weren't you the one who started guessing all boys last night with the blowjob thing?"

"I was trying to scare him into telling me who it was," Blaise admitted. "Didn't think I'd actually hit the right person."

"Speaking of," Pansy said, standing once more and brushing down her robes, "we'd better go find them before a teacher does." Blaise nodded quickly in agreement, and the two walked quickly out of their common room.