PROLOGUE

Adelaide King was a name often whispered.

Some said that the girl was dead, buried six feet under with the rest of the King's. Others said that she was simply in hiding, on the run from Valentine and what was left of his circle. A select few thought that she had joined the circle to escape death.

But the majority of the shadow world knew that like every other King, she had died in the great fire on October 19th 2011.

Still her name was often whispered around the streets of New York five years later, as alleged sightings of the girl began to increase more and more, causing a stir within both the downworld and the shadowhunter communities. 

The downworld knew that if it was true that she was still alive, then they could have a potential ally on their side for when Valentine staged his attacks once more. The shadowhunters knew that if she was still alive, they would have a secret weapon for if Valentine arose once more.

Both communities wished for the powerful girl to come and help their fight, but unfortunately for them, she worked alone.

The rumors, whilst they were a bit out of the box in their ideas, were in fact true. Adelaide King lived after narrowly escaping the great fire of October 19th 2011. She resided in the upside of New York city, far from the institute that often called her name in the middle of the night, but she never returned, refusing to step foot on shadowhunter ground again.

Instead, she helped the mundanes that she came across, whilst maintaining a well-paying job in engineering across town. Sometimes, she found her heart calling out to a less mundane life, but she knew that would only put herself in further danger by making Valentine himself aware of her presence in the world.

She knew that she needed to keep hidden, and keep mundane despite her heart's best efforts to drag her right back into the dangerous life of supernaturals. 

But what harm could a night of clubbing really do?