Chapter I

-  TANAKA’S STORY  -

        Nippon, 1645. Several weeks into his journey, Tanaka is plagued by longing for familiar faces. There is no one else around, not one face in a sea of pine trees. It has been several weeks since he, along with his comrades, left the monastery; the sun had not yet risen when the four of them parted ways. He did not look back as there was much to look forward to. The open road welcomed him as though it had missed him in those two years that he had been away from it. Tanaka planned on keeping memories of Higo at the back of his mind, but since he awoke at dawn he has thought of nothing else. And how could he not? The day began and unfolded much like the day Musashi found him; he has been walking for weeks and the sun shines as brightly as it had with the near perfect sky drizzling ever so lightly. The only thing missing is the sound of impending death charging forward...

        A number of horses could be heard trampling the path a short distance from where Tanaka was traveling. He knew the thunderous sounds meant inevitable death. They have been hounding him since he slipped away from the fortress. They—warriors of the best kind, hunters of men—were after him. The sound of the horses drew closer. He knew he had a very short time to enjoy the sunlight and the cool summer breeze.

        “Halt and turn around!” 

        Tanaka stopped walking and took in a deep, long breath. He reluctantly turned to face the familiar voice. Ten samurai jumped down from their horses as Tanaka paid his respects to the leader who spoke to him with unyielding bitterness. “You will finally be punished for deserting the regiment.”

        “Oh, I did more than that,” replied Tanaka, “I went straight to the Sawada’s camp and warned them of your plans.” 

        Disbelief overcame the sour-faced leader, “I have known you for a long time, which is why I do not understand your actions. You have served the clan with utmost loyalty and such fervor—every one of us saw that. Whether you did so out of gratitude or solely out of ambition is for none of us to judge; but now because of what, pity—for people you don’t know—you have thrown away everything you have, everything you are.”

        “I did not throw away everything I am, Ryouta. I might say I have thrown away everything I have worked for, but that is not everything I am. Like you, I used to have a family; I had parents and twelve siblings whom I left behind to pursue my dreams. I had helped my father and elder brothers till the land before I learned to drench it with someone else’s blood. I shudder to think any of them tasting the blade.” He let out a determined sigh, “I would gladly lose my limbs and neck for Lord Yorito or for any of you, but I will never use my sword on a helpless woman—much less on a child. They may be insignificant to us, but not to their families. Think of it, if the Tokugawas had lost the war, how would any of you feel if the Sawadas were to cut off our heads and slice your family’s throats?”

        “Well our allies won. We won. Now tell me brother, where has your opinion led you?” 

        “It has led me to a path I will never regret.”

        “Enough!” he growled, undoubtedly angered by Tanaka’s reasoning. “You have been bestowed the Orido name and yet you speak with such contempt!” Roused with indignation he turned to his fellow samurai, “He has lost his mind. We should free him from his miserable existence.” He tipped his chin to his men prompting them to draw their swords. 

        Unknown to all, someone resting behind one of the sandalwood trees was listening intently. His voice filled the air just as the swords leaped out of the scabbards, “What—ten against one?! Am I the only one who thinks it unfair?”