15. storms are brewing

Lei Zhen clutched the hem of pale pink hanfu tightly, sweat beading up at her temples. 

"What?"

"He's - " she felt her eyes water with tears. "He's pregnant." 

The women were silent, as Lei Zhen hurriedly wiped away her tears with one sleeve. 

"Pregnant?" Shou Huifang laughed bitterly, incredulous. "Pregnant? Out of all things, a baby?" 

Shui Hui Yin gritted her teeth, hands clenching underneath her long sleeves. Pregnant... Yu Hua that little skank... 

How was she going to fix this one? 

"Yes, I - " Lei Zhen blinked rapidly. "I found out yesterday."

"Mm," Qiu Liu sipped her tea, expression placid. "That's why you brought him to my shop yesterday."

"Oh?" Shou Huifang grinned mockingly. "It's apparent that the little dog has claws!" 

Lei Zhen flinched. "I was never -" she paused. "I was never on his side." 

"Weren't you two the closest of friends?" Shou Huifang said. "Since nobody ever really wanted to associate themselves with you, anyways -"

"Shou Huifang!" Zhen Rong gasped, her eyes flitting over to Lei Zhen. 

"Nobody really wanted to be friends with a shameful piece of trash, whose only ambitions were to brew tea for the rest of her life -"

Lei Zhen shrank into her seat.

"Shou Huifang," Shui Hui Yin interrupted, cutting Shou Huifang off. The girl sent Shui Hui Yin a sharp glare, but looked away. 

"Lei Zhen is still useful," she declared to the rest of the women. "And there's no reason to belittle her." 

Shui Hui Yin glanced down at her teacup. Yu Hua was... Yu Hua was pregnant. Time was running out. The opportunity for change was running out. If they were unable to hurry and mend the fence, the tiger would steal the lamb again. 

"I, have a very special role for her." Shui Hui Yin said. 

"What role?" Xia Meirong scoffed. "Help Yu Hua through his pregnancy? Name his baby? Raise the thing?" 

"Calm down, Xia Meirong," Shui Hui Yin sipped her tea. "If we do this right, there won't be a baby at all."

***

Shui Hui Yin walked through the streets of the city, her silk shoes tapping against cobblestone. Han Qing An hurried by her side, clutching a bottle of wine wrapped in a swath of cream-colored silk. Soon, they neared a large, luxurious manor with red peonies blooming in the garden. 

"Y - young miss!" One of the maids out sweeping in the courtyard exclaimed, surprised as Shui Hui Yin burst through. 

"Where is my father?" She asked brusquely. She glanced around, nostalgia tugging at her senses. But it had changed. Everything had changed. 

"He's in the main room, but young miss - wait -"

Shui Hui Yin walked up the stairs and pulled the doors open swiftly. Light flooded into the musty room, revealing her father, sitting sloppily on his grand chair. Scattered around him were empty bottles of alcohol. His eyes were red, and he lifted an arm over his face to block the light. 

"Father," Shui Hui Yin fell to her knees, the decade-old discipline kicking in despite how much disgust soured her mouth. "This daughter greets you." She vaguely felt Han Qing An sweep into a kowtow as well, but her attention was focused on the man in front of her.