8. facing a tiger

"Ah?" Yu Hua raised his brow. "How exactly did I meet the Emperor?" 

Yu Hua thought for a moment, before blushing a little. "Ah... we have known each other for a very long time..." 

Shui Hui Yin's smile stiffened. "A long time, you say?" She reached for a cup of tea, each of her fingers clenching tight around the delicate porcelain. 

"Yes," Yu Hua smiled, and all the flowers in the garden bloomed around him. "We have been in love for a long time."

Shui Hui Yin spat out a mouthful of tea. 

"Shui Hui Yin?" Yu Hua's expression morphed from confusion to horror. "A-are you alright?" Yu Hua gasped, staring at Shui Hui Yin's beautiful, and now ruined robes. Hong Huo jumped out of Yu Hua's arms as the newly crowned Empress worried around Shui Hui Yin. "Are you burned or -"

The bland-faced maid blanched, and ran forward to her mistress' side. "Miss!" The maid exclaimed, panic written across her face. Her eyes flicked to Shui Hui Yin's intricately made dress. "G-get a towel or something - !" The maid screamed at the entourage of servants standing behind Yu Hua. 

"We don't answer to you," the female guard replied harshly. The bland-faced maid flinched, taking a step back. 

"Oh, just please get some towels!" Yu Hua exclaimed. The guard bowed to him before running off in search of a handkerchief. 

"No need," Shui Hui Yin gritted, pasting a pleasant smile on her face. Yu Hua jumped, surprised as Shui Hui Yin wrapped a hand around Yu Hua's wrist. "Tell me, Yu Hua," Shui Hui Yin said, voice dark. "When exactly did you meet the Emperor?"

Could I have prevented it?  Shui Hui Yin thought. Could Chang Sheng have been mine? 

"Shui Hui Yin - your dress -"

"Answer me!" Shui Hui Yin yelled. Yu Hua watched her with alarmed eyes. "Please, Yu Hua," Shui Hui Yin bristled, smiling pleasantly again. "I just want to know."

"Ten years ago," Yu Hua blurted out, eyes wide and frightened. "On the night the summer months bore snow." 

Shui Hui Yin let go of Yu Hua. Yu Hua took a step back, shocked. 

"Oh," Shui Hui Yin said. She smiled brightly at Yu Hua once more. "I hate to say this, but may our meeting end for now? I must get changed and all, so perhaps we can have tea another day."

Yu Hua nodded shakily. "O - of course, Shui Hui Yin."

"Thank you, Empress. May you and the Emperor live for thousands of years," Shui Hui Yin cupped her hands and bowed, face cast in shadow, "in lasting love and harmony."

The female guard returned with a handkerchief. "Empress?" She asked. Yu Hua picked up Hong Huo with trembling hands and nodded towards the guard. 

"Let's go," Yu Hua said. "We shall meet another day, Shui Hui Yin." He made his way to the exit of the garden, casting frightened glances towards Shui Hui Yin. 

The female guard glared distastefully at the bland-faced maid and her mistress. 

"Here is your handkerchief," she said brusquely. The maid ran forwards and snatched it. The female guard looked both of them up and down one more time before leaving the garden with the rest of Yu Hua's servants. 

Now the garden was empty. 

"Mistress -"

"Ugh!" Shui Hui Yin screamed, standing and picking up the porcelain teacup and throwing it at a marble table where a teapot sat. The porcelain cup shattered into thousands of glittering, razor-sharp shards.