Not So New World

—-Severus—-

"Severus I do hope you're not becoming to attached to Miss Eris." Dumbledore's voice was light, but I could sense the true meaning behind it.

"Don't you think if he had sent a memoriless spy he might have mentioned it? You do know how he loves to boast." I crossed my arms glaring at him.

"I'll keep her safe Severus, but you need to keep your distance." His tone was matter of fact.

"Keep her safe?! Like you kept Lilly safe?" I snarled.

"What happened to the Potters will always be one of my deepest regrets. However was not my doing." His voice irritatingly calm.

"You did nothing! I warned you!"

"Severus, believe me when I say I tried. Unfortunately I was to late." He place tips of his fingers together in front of himself.

"She'll go to Grimmauld place. I'm sure Sirius will be happy to look after her."

"Are you out of your mind! You expect me to entrust her to that mongrel!" It took all my being not to pull my wand out to hex him.

"Sirius is a skilled wizard. Grimmauld place is well protected. Unless you think I intend to betray it to Voldemort?" His blue eyes were so steady, not a hint of remorse.

"Fine, but if anything happens to her." I didn't need to finish my sentence.

"Very well. She can stay until the end of term. Then we shall move her, unless you can think of a better place for her to go?"

I had no answer. I hated it with every fiber of my being, but deep down I knew he was right. She was safer there than with me.

—-Eris—-

Madame Pomfrey let me go. Severus was still with Dumbledore. I hadn't the slightest clue where Lupin might be. Probably back in the forest. It was still dark out the moon still at its peak. I didn't know where Dumbledore's office might be. Despite reading the books a dozen times, it never actually explained how to get there. Only that Harry usually used several short cuts.

I rubbed my temples. What to do what to do? I couldn't exactly leave with a pack of werewolves and a shadow beast hunting me down. Not before I had really recovered my memory.

I wandered aimlessly. I couldn't leave just yet. Then again defeating the shadow beast was probably some key to waking up from this dream. Then again...if it were real...how many of them could I save? Fred? Lupin? Tonks? Sirius....Severus? Severus?

Would I? Could I become who I was before if it meant saving him? Them? All of them? Maybe even Dobby and Hedwig? Maybe I could even save Dumbledore?

Red filled the sky like freshly spilled blood. I climbed out of a window on the seventh floor. Getting myself as comfortable as possible on the peak I laid watching the sky come to life.

"Better not let Professor Snape catch you out there. He'd probably have a litter of kittens."

"Professor Lupin, What would you do if you found out you weren't the good person you thought. Even though you tried to become that good person, but in order to protect the people you care about you have to be that bad person again?" I stared at the lightening sky.

"Then I would say you were never a bad person in the first place. People can do bad things or make mistakes. It doesn't necessarily mean their a bad person." I looked up to see his warm friendly smile.

I gave a small one in return. I wasn't totally convinced, but maybe. "Thank you Professor."

"Any time Eris. I'm off to get some rest. Do be careful getting down." I heard his foot steps receding back into the school.

I watched as the sky went from red to pink to pale blue. The sun rose higher and higher. I just laid thinking of what I would tell them. How much I should tell them.

"Do you do that with magic?" I don't know why it had never occurred to me to ask.

"Do what?" His voice was more strained than usual.

"Walk so quietly. Even the ghosts make more noise than you do."  I didn't look up from my sky gazing.

"No...I learned it as a child. My father was not kind..."

"The less attention the better." We said in unison.

"My father hated me too." I did look at him then.

There was a pained expression on his face that was foreign to me. I had never once seen him look so unhinged. Whatever conversation he had had wasn't good news.

"Tell me." I said sitting up straddling the roof top.

"How about you come in first." He held a hand out to me.

I lifted my self nimbly to my feet. Cat like I moved the few feet from where I had been laying to take Severus' hand. Although I didn't need his help. I clasped his hand landing lightly on my feet.

"Dumbledore wants you to go into hiding." His voice shook a bit.

"Hiding? Hiding from what?" I cocked a brow.

"From whom ever sent a pack of werewolves and a shadow beast after you." His voice was calm, but his eyes betrayed him.

"I see. Will you be there?" I cocked my head.

"When I can....I have work to do."

"Spying For Dumbledore. I know. Severus we need to talk." I chewed my lip nervously. "Where's my bag we recovered from the forest?"

"Your...your bag?" He eyed me suspiciously. "What does that have to do with this? And more importantly how do you know?"

"The books. I have all seven in my bag. I was reading them before I went to bed that night. Some how some way I wound up in a world I've only ever known through a story. They tell everything about how Harry takes down Voldemort from start to finish." I willed him to believe me.

He stared long and hard at me. I stared back trying to promise without words that I wasn't lying to him. The minutes stretched on.

Finally he sighed. "Follow me. Dumbledore will want to hear of this."

Tentatively I reached out giving his hand a quick squeeze. "Thank you Severus."

"Don't thank me yet." He lead us towards the headmaster's office.