32. Uncomplicated... And Boring

Start from the beginning

...

Same old drama.

I entered the elevator and there she was, standing at a corner with her eyes fixated on a file. She acknowledged my presence when I cleared my throat.

Shutting the file, she turned to me and asked, "Why did you ruin my laptop?"

"I don't know, you tell me. Why would someone ruin something to the point of no repair?" I asked and her jaw ticked.

"Why don't you vent all your anger at me in a single day?" she said and she looked pissed.

I tried to find an appropriate answer and when I didn't, I used the superior employee card. "I'm your superior Miss. Avery. Don't ever forget that." I said and she rolled her eyes. In the last few months, this was the first time I had seen her out of her passive shell.

"You'll get a new laptop in your office by tomorrow," I said.

We didn't talk after that. When the elevator stopped at our floor, I walked out of it first and rushed towards my office.

Sitting in my office, I thought about the proposition I offered to Crystal this morning. I don't know if she would agree or not and I don't even know if I want her to agree. The idea of a relationship scares me but the concept of doing that with Crystal was definitely a relief.

At the lunch time, I left the office and walked towards the cafeteria. There she was again, sitting alone in a corner, enjoying a cup of tea. Wherever I go, she is there. No matter how hard I try to run from her, her presence followed me like a shadow.

I was about to sit down when I got a call from Crystal, saying she was here. I walked out of the cafeteria and went into a solitary part of the floor with nobody around. I asked Crystal to meet me here so that we could talk comfortably.

There was a desk in the corner, facing the huge window looking out of the building. I sat there and watched the crowded road, filled with noises of cars. After a while, I felt a presence beside me and I immediately recognised the scent of the perfume.

"I brought cupcakes." she said, pulling the beautiful looking cupcakes out of the khakee bag. I smiled at her, knowing what she meant by these cupcakes.

"Yes. I'll go out with you Vincent." she said, putting the cupcake in her mouth. "Like you said, nothing serious. We'll see where it goes."

I chuckled, placing my hand over hers. It was nice. Although I didn't feel the tingling like when I touched Clara, her hands were warm and they felt nice against mine. Nice and predictable, exactly what I needed at this moment.

"But need to do something about your marriage. I don't want to be the other girl, the homebreaker." she said.

"You were never the other girl and there was never a home." I said and she shrugged.

We sat there silently, eating the cupcakes. How I wished Clara and I could do the same some day but some things are just not meant to be. She and I, we could never be together.

"So now what?" she asked when I stood up to leave. "Are we supposed to kiss like couples before going our ways?" Her grin told me that she also approved the idea of 'us' and a small part of me wondered if she ever felt something for me before. Dad once told me that she had a crush on me but I laughed out loud at this, completely rejecting Dad's theory.

"We can." I said. "If you want."

We both stood there awkwardly, waiting for the other one to initiate. At the end, both of us leaned forwards and brushed our lips slightly, a small smile playing on our mouths. Then she left and I turned towards the elevator where a familiar face was looking at my way with a grieved expression on her face.

__________________________

OK so I guess some things need clarification.

Aaron had one night stands before, I already mentioned it. Not too much but like once every two three months. Because I think it's realistic, according to my knowledge on American culture.

Secondly, this relationship Cry-ron is kind of important in the story. Like I think Aaron needs someone else so that he could truly understand the dynamics of her and Clara. And I don't see any better option than Crystal.

Thirdly, I don't think Crystal+Aaron is same as Ryan+Clara. Ryan+Clara can never be justified but Crystal+Aaron makes sense. And try to think like Aaron. Your wife left you for someone and now she's engaged to someone else(as he thinks). And then there's a girl, nice as heck and your best friend. Possibly , you would take a rash decision.

Fourth, yes, Ryan lied with Aaron and his Dad. He is just a jerk.