Duke & Elle

DUKE & ELLE

Elle didn't know about everyone else, but she liked to believe she wasn't alone.

Since freshmen year, Elle had been obsessed with summer romance, a two month fling filled with fun, electric love, that would end just as quick as it came, and she would be left with dizzying memories of feeling alive.

Sadly, Elle would only be left with what ifs. She would leave for college, her obsession slowly faded, dwindling to a minuscule thought burrowed deep in her mind.

But, then she would return home for summer, back to the small, beachside, Florida town. Back to the lanky brunette boy that had been her first kiss—and had started her want for a summer fling—back to late night bonfires that always ended in a drunken mess, and party games that left her lips tingling and her heart aching for a bit more.

As she pulled into the driveway of her childhood home, Elle watched a guy walk out of the house towards the lawn mower (he seemed to have abandoned it halfway through the job.)

The boy was tall and lanky, with curly hair that stopped at the end of his ears. She bit her lip as she caught sight of his face, putting the top of the convertible up as she watched him.

"Hey, Sailor," The brunette boy winked, god she hated that nickname. He leaned against the car, one hand braced himself against the side window, the other on the edge of the driver's, where she sat. A lazy smile grazed his features, hair hanging a bit into his eyes, he look like he didn't have a care in the world.

While his body looked different—he was taller with an underlying tone of muscle—Elle would recognize him anywhere.

"Hey, Duke," She grinned, although she appeared more flustered by him than anything.

"Gonna get out of your car?" He motioned to the fact that the top was up, and yet her hand hadn't moved from the button.

"Only if you'll get out of my way," Elle retorted, he stepped back, opening the door as he did. She got out and went around to the back of her car, popping the trunk and taking out her suitcase.

Her senses melted as she caught whiff of his cologne, daydreams of a summer romance suddenly crashing into her mind, it was like she was in high school again. He was the reason Elle slowly became entranced with the idea, him and her first kiss from him.

"Damn, Elle, when'd you get so ditzy," He chuckles, waving in her face.

"What?"

"I said I love you."

"You love me?"

"No, I said, 'do you want help with your suitcase?'."

"Oh....sure."

As he grabbed the back, his hand brushed across her stomach, she blushed.

"Your castle awaits," He bowed, as he began to wheel the bag towards the entrance.

She rolled her eyes at him.

•••••

Elle flopped onto her bed as soon as the door opened to her room, laying among the many pillows, "God, I missed my bed," she said, sitting up, leaning back against the headboard, "I missed this place in general, my parents, Rosie and Kayla, the water."

"What, you didn't miss me?"

"Mmmm...no," She giggled, as Duke pouted, grabbing her ankles and pulling her to the edge of the bed. Elle's legs on either side of his left one.