Chapter 1

I woke up to the annoyance of my alarm clock beeping away. I slid my arm out from under the sheets and hit the snooze button with my fist. Even though I didn’t want to get up, I had to or else my mother would come up here. I slithered out of my bed and let my feet dangle over the edge; I rubbed my eyes to vanquish the sleepiness.

I lifted myself off the bed, trudged over to the window, and opened the blinds. Why was it that gloomy, gray clouds were always floating within the sky, covering the sun with its thickness no matter what time of day it was? Even though it was summer, it was never bright outside, the sun never penetrated the clouds with its illuminating rays. Never. Always dark there. Always gray.

I shrugged it off and walked over to my wardrobe; I then began to get dress. Finally, I’d settled on a red and white striped shirt and blue jeans. I snuck a peek in the mirror and I was quite surprised I didn’t have severe bed head. I grabbed my brush and began brushing my bangs over my eyes.

I have dark brown hair and I don’t remember a time in my life where I didn’t have my long bangs. I guess it was my mom’s idea that I grow my hair long, like others, I was born with bangs, so my mom told me that I wasn’t going to get a haircut until my bangs were shading my eyes. Well, that took about a year; surprisingly my bangs grew faster than my hair, so when we had to get my hair cut they only cut my hair never my bangs unless they were growing over my entire face. Right now, my hair is a little less than shoulder length and my bangs still cover my eyes.

I don’t know why I was born like this, when I was a baby my mom took me to the doctor, but no matter how many doctors I visited or how many pills I took they couldn’t fix it, hell, they couldn’t even tell me what was wrong, so I live my life how I always lived it, hiding. No one has ever seen my eyes, they don’t even ask me why I hide them and even when they do I just wave it off and ignore it. How can I answer their question if I can’t even answer mine?

 I laid the brush back on the top of the wardrobe and took one last peek inside of the mirror. I wasn’t scrawny but I wasn’t muscular either, I had some muscles in my biceps and triceps and abs that'll show if you squint very hard. I don’t understand, I had been running a lot lately and that was the results I got? Whatever, it’s not as though it bothered me, I’m not self conscious about my appearance…..excluding my eyes.

I grabbed my gray and black, one strap backpack and lifted it over my head and onto my right arm. I took one last look around my room to check to see that I had everything, then I walked out of my room.

Like most people in this neighborhood, I lived in a mobile, one story house. We didn’t even have a hallway, so with me being the youngest I was given the room across from the living room. Meaning, whenever Dad would come home late from work and decide that watching the Giants lose yet another touchdown is his main priority, then I would be restless throughout the night.

It wasn't like we were poor or anything, it’s just that Mom kept losing her job which made us move throughout the country and Dad’s business wasn't doing enough for us, besides, that was just a temporary house, we weren't plan on living there forever.

Changing schools really wasn't  a bother to me, what can I say? Making friends was a walk in the park for me, but Mom said that we’ll stop moving once my dad left.

Yep, you guessed it, they’re getting a divorce. It’s not like I was depressed over it, I was just pissed at them; how can they-

“Honey, I cooked breakfast for you,” my mother said with her face gleaming.

She had long brown hair and was slim, but very fragile. My mother is kind of weird; my dad told me once that my mom was bitten by a rabid bat. Well, obviously she didn’t die or else she wouldn’t be here. My dad rushed her to the hospital and into the doctor’s care and the next thing he knows is that a nurse is comforting him saying that it’s going to be alright. About five hours later the nurse was back telling him that they got all of the rabies out and she is going to be in tip top shape, or that was what they thought, but the next morning, at 9:37am to be exact, my mom was viciously talking to herself, laughing evilly and wildly. My dad came in there and asked what was wrong, in a flash she came at him and bit him on the arm like a vampire, but my dad was smarter than to panic, he got duct tape and bonded her hands. He threw her in the car and took off to the hospital.