Chapter 2

The boy's eyes fluttered open "Help me. Please," he begged with a weak voice.

"What's your name boy?" Robert interrogated.

"J-Joseph," the boy stuttered.

"Are you hurt?" I questioned. Joseph nodded and looked at his leg. His pants were soaked with a deep dark crimson. I then ripped off his pant leg and examined the wound. the leg was slightly bent at an awkward angle where there was no joint. Something stained red that was once white was slightly poking out of his skin.

"Take him with us. Get him to the infirmary." I ordered.

"No! Leave him to die! Leave him to rot!" Andrew shouted.

"What if he was your son!" I accused. He then turned and scolded burning daggers at me.

"Well he isn't my son. My son is dead. His corpse is over there if you want to see!" he cried as he pointed to a corpse next to a lone skeleton tree. Oh no. I had no idea. A heavy round black stone falls to the pit of my stomach.

"Wouldn't you have wanted someone to save him though?" I whispered.

"Of course." Andrew replied.

"Then let's save this boy. He could be the son of someone," I said with hope flowing through my voice. Robert was already trying to pick up Joseph when Andrew sighed

"Fine." All four of us headed back to camp.

"We need to find a horse to put him on so we can travel faster. The Sun is going down," Robert muttered.

"Ok I'll scout out a horse," Andrew grunted as he handed Joseph to me. He then walked off into the woods nearby to find a runaway horse that might've survived.

"You hanging in there Joseph?" I asked trying to make conversation.

"Y-Yeah," Joseph groaned "It hurts pretty bad though."

I tried to change the conversation. "Do you have a family?"

He smiled slightly. "Yes. I had a brother. An older one though. He was 18. I had a mother, father, and little sister named Sue. I love all of them so much but my brother died in the war. He was killed in front of my eyes. I was on my knees next to him, mourning him, when all of a sudden a horse stepped on my leg and something hit me on the head. Sue died of the Yellow Fever. Now all I have left is my mother and father."

I stared at him with a grim look. "I'm terribly sorry. I'm trying to look for my brother, Peter. I can't find him so I can't know if he is dead or captured or if he escaped. I don't know," I replied. I felt panic welling up in me. Is he dead? Could I have searched for all that time and he be dead? Please let me be wrong God. Please let me be wrong.

"I'm sorry," Joseph sympathized.

"It's ok. I'll find out some way," I replied.

-----

It'll get better and more intense. Feel free to comment what you think and notify me if I have spelling errors or something like that. Thanks for reading!