love interests pt ii.

FACT IX
Mary Stuart was once betrothed to
King Henry VIII's son, Edward.

FACT IXMary Stuart was once betrothed to King Henry VIII's son, Edward

I.
Your main character does not need to have a love interest, they can simply be a character with their own conflict who are in need of help or support. For example, your oc can be a person of high status who has been exiled from their home country for some unknown reason and is in need of refuge.

II.
A different route you can take when coming up with a love interest is pairing up your oc with another original character of your own. I've seen this in many fandoms and I think it would be interesting to see, especially because not only does it give you more freedom, but it also leaves your readers wondering where the relationship will go and what these characters are like. It's not like with Francis or Mary where you already know their fate, which in my opinion shouldn't be changed since it is a period drama and meant to be accurate in some type of way.

III.
Honestly, I think it would be interesting to see the love interest and oc not end up together, especially when you take into account the fact that many of the couples in Reign didn't have a happy ending. For example, you have Francis and Mary, where one of them died of an infection or injury. You also have Elizabeth and Gideon, where one died of poisoning. It could be their social status that keeps them apart or one of them could already be betrothed to someone else.

— A/N:
I'm alive! :))