Chapter 8: There's No Brian On The Way To Beacon

Start from the beginning

Ozpin: "I'll pay you, please?"

???: "For fuck's sake, what's the job?"

Ozpin: "I need you to head over to Signal and find someone named Brian (L/N), apparently the Xiao Long Rose family needs him."

???: "Those fuckers? Alright sure, but if he's at Signal, then best after he's done there, he'll appear at Beacon."

Ozpin: "Just get the job done and we can discuss payment."

???: "Alright, if he ends up at Beacon, I'll be there aswell."

Ozpin: "Good luck, ???."

???: "Fuck you Oz."

The call ended and I went back to doing what I do mostly: headmaster stuff.

__Timeskip to a month later__

I got a call and took it. I quickly recognised who it was. I wanted to greet him, but he was faster than me.

???: "Oz, you promised you had a lead, why the fuck is there no Brian (L/N) here!"

Ozpin: "What? Is there someone with the first name Brian? Or (L/N) as last name?"

???: "Yeah, no one by the name of Brian, but there is Ian and (Y/N) matching the last name you gave me."

(Y/N)! So they were right, it could be him...

Ozpin: "Alright, I see... I want you to keep an eye on (Y/N) ok?"

???: "*sigh* Alright, you know he's gonna be going to Beacon after Signal, so the second the Beacon Bullhead lands I'll bring him up to you, and before you call anyone else, see what the kid is about, I'm actually interested in it aswell."

Ozpin: "Alright, Alright, just be sure to-"

He had already hung up on me. I sank away into my thoughts for a bit.

Ozpin: '(Y/N)... It indeed could be him. But should I tell them? It's not even sure if it's really the (Y/N) Summer and Tai are missing, it could be all coincidence... For now, I'll only keep an eye on him. I won't tell them anything until I'm sure of if it's him, or not.'

__Timeskip of 3 years__

(Y/N) POV

I can't believe it. Our final day at Signal. It's been hard here, avoiding Yang and, since 2 years, Ruby aswell. But we did it, with as minimal interaction as possible.

__Flashback__

We were sitting in the canteen when I heard someone scream something loud. Great way to ruin someone's peaceful lunch. I wanted to look, but Mike said something.

Mike: "Don't look, it'll seem suspicious. I'll tell you what's going on."

I could see him sneak a few glances before telling me what's happening.

I see Yang, hugging some small girl with black hair and what seems to be a bit of red hair here and there aswell. I'm pretty sure she called the small girl Ruby.

(Y/N): "Shit..."

Simon: "What's the matter? They look cute, maybe I could- OW, what the hell man?!"

Mike: "Simon, shut up, we've been through this. What's the matter (Y/N)?"

(Y/N): "Ruby was my other 'sister'... She basically did the same Yang did to me."

Ian: "I'm sorry, I didn't knew it was her... Same no interaction treatment as with Yang?"

(Y/N): "As much as possible, yeah. Pretty sure they already forgot about me by now."

Simon: "I still can't believe that when Yang did know you here, she really got tricked by you into thinking your name was Brian. Brilliant stuff man, brilliant."

(Y/N): "Neither can I, you'd think your reaction would've given it away, but Mike saved the day. For which once more a lot of thanks."

Mike: "Ah, it's nothing man, that's what friends are for."

Ian: "I don't want to interrupt our little flashback party, but we gotta go to class again."

__Flashback end__

Luckily, it never got as far as any real conversations or hanging out, despite Yang being in the same year as us. Probably because we never were in the same class, also something I'm happy with. Ruby did approach us once.

__Flashback__

Ruby: "Hello there, have you seen my sister?"

Ian: "How am I supposed to know that if you don't tell me her name or what she looks like?"

Ruby: "She's called Yang, has long blonde hair and lilac eyes. You're in the same year as her, have you seen her?"

Mike: "She was literally behind you the other moment."

Ruby: "Really?!"

She turned around and looked but didn't see Yang."

Ruby: "Where? I don't see her."

(Y/N): "Mike was just messing with you, he does that more often. I'm sure he does know where Yang actually could be though."

I looked at him, hoping he'd get the signal and would just blurt out some random place in the school, so Ruby would leave us alone again.

Mike: "Have you tried outside on the schoolgrounds?"

Ruby: "No, do you think she could be there?"

Ian: "Technically, she could be everywhere, the odds are just smaller or bigger for each case."

Ruby looked at Ian in confusion.

Ian: "*sigh* Yes, she could be there, go look for her or something."

__Flashback end__

Luckily, for Ruby aswell, it stayed with that and it was the only time I ever really talked to her. I didn't feel the need to become friends with either of them, neither did I feel it's necessary to share my real name with them. And I'm pretty sure they even forgot that one.

I smiled at my brother, Ian, who was sitting next to me, and shared the same enthusiasm. Our class' mentor was having some boring talk about how important these years have been for us in multiple ways and how next year Beacon will in fact be a lot harder than Signal here, but I think no one cared enough to listen at this point. Then, we were wished happy summer vacation and we all walked out of the school.

Ian: "I can't believe it man! The end of Signal! Well, for us then, it's not like it's going to blow up now."

We then heard a huge explosion, but when we turned around, nothing had exploded actually. We only saw a grinning Simon.

Mike: "What the hell man?!"

Simon: "I couldn't resist, sorry."

Yeah, Simon discovered his semblance: he can make explosions. Only small ones now, bigger ones require more training we figured. But it still was loud enough for some scares. Mike had also discovered his semblance once, when he fell onto the ground. A whole crack came into the dirt. It lead to the discovery of him being able to manipulate and control the ground and rocks. Which was pretty cool to look at actually. Only Ian didn't discover his semblance yet out of us four, but we all assured him it would come with time. We all think it really will, especially once we're entering Beacon.

We all walked a little further, until we reached the point where Ian and me when to the right and they took a turn left.

Mike: "Well, see you all at Beacon! I mean, we'll all surely get in there. Not to make anyone over-confident or sound arrogant, but we're all talented enough for it."

Simon: "Yeah, especially me-"

Ian: "Shut up Simon, yeah Mike, we'll see you all there. We should hang out sometime again before then though."

Mike: "Well, you know how to contact me if you think you got a date that fits."

(Y/N): "We'll do that. See you guys later!"

We waved and then went our ways home. Onto the vacation and then later... Beacon.