Always be your Hero

Start from the beginning

fourteen

"Get away from me" Annabeth's voice was breaking.
"Not so tough now are you, Chase" the gleeful tone of Joey Bridges cut through the air.
"Please-please leave me alone" she whimpered, as she backed up against the stone wall.
The actions were so unlike the strong and brave Annabeth everyone was used too. But she was tired, she was cold, she was alone and she felt weak.
The schoolyard was completely empty, there was no one there to witness the scene. Joey grabbed her wrist, and twisted it painfully.
"Please..." she whispered as Joey raised his fist.
"Get away from her!" the yell pierced the air.
Suddenly, Joey was on the ground, Percy Jackson was on top of him, his body slamming into Joeys. Two of Joeys minions rushed forwards to throw Percy away. Percy threw himself at one of them, desperately trying to fight his way out. They were big and bulky, but Percy was fast and strong. He punched and kicked, using everything he had. Annabeth stood, stunned and unable to move. Finally, Percy was over thrown. The largest of the three bullies slammed him against the wall. Percy groaned, dropping to the ground.
Joey stood shakily, bruises already forming over his face, blood dripping from his nose. His two minions hadn't made it out unscathed either.
Percy stumbled towards me, he limped in front of me, putting one arm out protectively.
"Leave her alone" he spat blood from his mouth, "If you ever lay a finger on her again, I swear to god..."
The three bullies looked at each other and slowly backed away, muttering insults as they went.

Percy turned to Annabeth with a grimace.
"I'm sorry. Are you okay? Did they hurt you?" his words spilled out in a rush as he wiped the blood from his face.
Annabeth looked at him for a split second before pulling him into a tight hug. Percy seemed stunned but he slowly slipped into the embrace, relaxing and wrapping his arms around her.
Annabeth blinked the tears from her eyes, her mind filled with a single memory.

grade three. spelling test. Joey. and Percy...

"she's not stupid!"

"leave. her. alone."

"it's okay to need help sometimes."

The memory rushed through her brain and she pulled him closer to her.
"Thank you" she whispered into his ear.
He nodded. They slowly pulled away from the hug.
"Come on. We're sneaking into the school to get you cleaned up. Deal?" Annabeth's voice trembled slightly as she spoke.
He raised an eyebrow at her, "Deal."

Annabeth wiped the blood from Percy's face.
"Is it bad" Percy asked, his eyes shut tightly as she poured disinfectant onto his cuts.
Annabeth paused, "I guess it could be worse. I don't think you'll need stitches."
"Good" breathed Percy.
Annabeth ruffled through the nurses cabinets, pulling out cloth and bandages.
"When he slammed me against the wall I think I cut my back, and my stomach feels like someone stabbed it" Percy held his face in his hands, "Grab some bigger bandages for that please."
"Sure thing" Annabeth pulled them from a shelf.
She walked back over to Percy.
"Take your shirt off" she mumbled, her face slightly red, "I'll fix you up."
Percy tugged it off. He grinned at Annabeth's expression as she took in his muscular arms and defined abs.
"You checking me out, Chase?" He wriggled his eyebrows at her.
"God, you are so annoying" she muttered, her face growing redder.
She bandaged him up and he pulled his shirt back on. She grabbed some ice and slowly began pressing it to the many bruises on his face, "You know you don't always have to be the hero?"
Their faces were inches apart.
He smiled at her. A sweet and genuine smile, not his usual smirk.
"I'll always be your hero, Annabeth."