Chapter Four

“Yah, ok!” Anna responded before the door shut behind them.

“What was that about?” he cocked his head to the side, looking at her through his long eyelashes.

“Anna and I are friends and she asked if I could introduce her to the single guys of the coven. She found you attractive and is hoping that you keep like company. I invited her to spend some time with us today. Is that ok?” She asked innocently.

“Yah, that’s fine. So she thinks I’m hot?” he smirked.

“Hardly, she noticed that you were hot. If she merely thought you were hot the subject would be open for debate. You are, however, exceedingly hot and there is no question about that.” She declared flippantly, euphoric as she watched his aura flooded with gold. They were strolling across Acacia Park, arm in arm toward Palmer High.

“Really?” he beamed.

“Yes.”

“Thank you.”

“You are most welcome.” She laughed. “You must tell the others I said hello. If you bring all four of them with you on Friday I might slip you a drink for free.”

“Will it be your usual?” he asked in a bartering tone.

“If you wish.”

“Then I am in.”

“Perfect, do you wish me to leave you at the door or walk you all the way to your class?” she chirruped.

“Can you walk me to my desk?” he suggested hopefully.

“Would that not embarrass you?”

“No, what’s to be embarrassed of? I have an amazing, beautiful girlfriend who’s walking me to class before heading off to her college class.” He said, apparently shocked that he had to explain this to her. He absurdly found her to be a prize rather than a burden.

“You do not find my ivory skin repelling?” she asked, remembering Kristin’s look of utter disdain.

“Of course not, it’s beautiful. Then again, you could probably make anything look beautiful.” He mused.

“You are far too kind, but thank you. I am just so frustrated because these preppie blondes keep coming in, they are all abnormally tanned and self-assured of their own faultlessness and they look at me as if I were a leper and treat me as if my pallor was something to be ashamed of. I am so nauseated by it. There are some of us who don’t use Daddy’s credit card to get everything we want and go to a tanning salon every weekend. Some of us actually have a life outside of our own ego and work for a living.” She ranted. It felt good to confide in someone.

“I am sorry you have to deal with that, Ember, but you are amazing just the way you are. I would never ask you to change, I love everything about you. They are just jealous bitches who wish they could look as sexy as you do when they’re pale. They need to be tan to look good, but you don’t need to because you are so perfect. They can’t stand the fact that you’re prettier than they are without even trying.” He professed, opening the front doors of the school for her. There were metal detectors in front of them and she turned to Justin, eyes wide.

“I can’t go through those.” She whispered.

“Don’t worry; they only have them on in the mornings. Besides, the guards are slow. Just blame the alarm on a belt or wristband and they’ll let you through.” He said softly, pushing her past the guard who waved merrily before returning to his taco. She let out a quick sigh of relief once they were out of the guard’s line of vision.

“This is very different from MCA.” She breathed.

“You went to MCA?” he choked back a laugh.