《chapter 4 (part 2)》

Start from the beginning

I'm sorry, she thought. I'm sorry I did this to her. She continued to stare at them, as if they could hear her thoughts. I'm sorry I did this to you. She looked away, a miserable sigh escaping her mouth.

Now at the present time, she felt Sarah gently nudge her arm when she suddenly stopped in-front of the black gate that led to the inside of the cemetery. Sarah frowned at her as Genesis jerked, as if scared by the fact that Sarah touched her. She nodded grimly at Sarah and opened the gate, walking slowly towards the the crowd of people that had settled in the center of the cemetery, where the pallbearers were placing the casket. 

The cemetery took up most of the land, it was grassy and obviously well kept. There was a fountain with 2 children shooting arrows near the entrance that Genesis just entered from. Same as she remembered it. The day was slightly overcast before, as if the weather was trying to mimic the emotions of most of the people gathered at the church. But now at the cemetery, the sun had emerged from the clouds and now gifted Genesis with warmth on a mostly chilly day. 

She didn't know how to feel about it. She thought the sun was playing tricks on her, trying to make her feel optimistic in a situation that obviously didn't need any optimism. She squinted up at the sun in disdain and made her way to the group of the other mourners as they lowered the casket into the ground. 

The pastor stood, reciting bible verses as they threw dirt over the casket.

"In sure and certain hope of the resurrection to eternal life  through Our Lord Jesus Christ..."

Bruno bent his head low and felt his sister Presley rub his back comfortingly, as he let out a sorrowful sob that hurt his chest. He pulled Kalea closer to him, who had woken up and was now standing, and placed a hand on Kalani's shoulder. He felt someone else ruffle his hair but he didn't care enough to look up. His vision was focused on the casket, slowly being buried by dirt.

"And we commit her body to the ground..."

Genesis stood quietly, her eyes focused on the vanishing casket with a pained expression. 'I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry—'

"Earth to earth..."

Bruno looked around at all his siblings supporting faces but it did little to ease the pain in his heart—

"Ashes to ashes.."

Genesis felt the hand of Sarah on her shoulder but her vision was fixed on the casket that wasn't visible anymore. 

"Dust to dust."

Both turned away from the casket, tears welling down their faces. Genesis was filled with guilt and remorse, Bruno filled with regret and loneliness despite the people that surrounded him.

The casket was buried.

The ceremony was over.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By now, most people had said their goodbyes to each other and left the burial site. Some had lingered to chat and show support to Bruno, but in time they left. Genesis stood frozen to her spot, her throat burning and her head spinning.