Chapter One

The Haze Collection: Blue Flames

Copyright © 2012 Christine Summer

All Rights Reserved ® 2012

---

All parts of this book are not to be reproduced in any way without the author’s permission or should submit to the law. The characters of the story are all fictional and situations are purely coincidental. The plot of this story is not to be copied and the idea is purely the author’s.

---

Chapter One

“Effie!” I heard someone call from the floor above. I’m currently cleaning the cellar; it’s very cold and my fingers felt numb. Smoke comes out as I breathe and I was shivering. I laid the mop near the bucket of water near the stairs and went up to see what she needs now.

“Yes?” I called out to her while she is busy concentrating on her nails that doesn’t seem to be perfect as she always try to file them away every single day.

She rolled her eyes at me and one of her strawberry blond locks fell over her eyes. She pushed it behind her ear and sneered at me. “Someone’s here for you.”

I smiled at her brightly and proceeded to take my apron off. I hang it on the hook and waved goodbye to Mrs. Hawthorne and Perry who is busy checking a girl out on the counter. I mentally rolled my eyes at him. Oh Perry, I thought, you never learn.

“Bye Abbie!” I waved at her and she just ignored me because she was focusing on one of her magazines. Oh well.

Just before I heard the bells rang on the front door, I heard a loud slap echoing through the café. A girl stumped out and she almost collided with me while I balance my paper bag filled with goods.

“Oh honey, wait!” Perry called from the inside and I sniggered at him. “I saw that Effie!”

I just stuck my tongue out at him as I went out. It was a cold autumn afternoon and my nose instantly turned red due to the cold.  I hugged my green turtleneck that I love tighter on my small body.

“It’s cold.” I mumbled as I walk out of the shop.

Suddenly, everything turns black.

“Oompf! What!” I shrieked.

“Don’t struggle.” I heard his voice point out as I struggle even more to get out of the piece of clothing that smell oddly of him, mint and spice.

“No!” I shrieked.

He grunted and pushed my head out of the hole. I pouted when he forced my arms on the jacket.

“Stop pouting.” He ordered me and snatched the paper bag from my grasp.

“I can and I will.” I said vehemently, sounding like a brat. “And I can carry that bag; I’m not an imbecile, Mr. Greene.”

He rolled his eyes at me and grabbed my wrist, pulling me towards the way on his house. I let him pull me as I glared daggers at the back of his head. He always treats me like a child and sometimes I get annoyed by it. Like how he thinks he’s always right…well, he is most of the time, but you get my point, right?

“Penny for your thoughts?” he asked as we rounded up the road towards the forest trail.

“I’d rather have a dollar for every bit of it.” I answered.

He chuckled, the first time I saw him smile for a week. He’s been upset about the fact that I decided to stay at my father’s house instead of finding a place of my own. I cannot just leave my father.