Chapter 16, Part 2

"Guys I think I'm heading home. I have to practice some lines for the rehearsal next week," Kurt said a couple of hours later when the sky had begun to appear more orange than blue and their shadows were longer than before. He folded the Vogue he had been reading instead of using it as a fan and shoved it into his bag.

"I think I'll also leave," Lola said and stretched her arms because she had been lying down for the last hour. "I really want to finish this Mexican telenovela my mum recommended me."

"Which one are you talking about? I love telenovelas," Kurt said.

"It's called 'Amar a Muerte' and they have this super cute couple," Lola replied, her eyes sparkling, because she finally found someone she could tell about her obsession. Even though she had shown Quinn some of her favorite shows, the blonde couldn't really be intrigued by any of the stories she loved.

"Is it the one where people get kidnapped all the time?" Quinn asked, not being able to suppress the sarcasm in her voice.

"Not all the time," Lola protested, but Quinn just grinned and stopped listening to Lola and Kurt's conversation. She lowered her gaze and found Rachel looking up at her. The brunette had decided that Quinn's thigh was the most comfortable place to rest and had since refused to change her position. Quinn had chosen not to tell her she couldn't feel her leg anymore. "Do you also want to leave?" Quinn asked while she stroked over Rachel's hair.

"I don't know," Rachel replied lazily.

"If you want we can stay longer. I can get us some snacks from the convenience store as well," Quinn replied with a smile.

Rachel seemed to think about the idea for a couple of seconds before she smiled back at Quinn and nodded. "I'd love that."

After Kurt and Lola had left and Quinn had hurried to the next convenience store to buy some potato chips and cookies, the park had significantly emptied.

"What are you thinking about?" Quinn asked as she watched Rachel gazing up into the sky even though the light pollution prevented them from seeing any stars.

Rachel turned her head to look at Quinn and slowly reached out until her hand made contact with Quinn's face. She touched Quinn's cheek, her eyebrow, her nose and ran her thumb over Quinn's bottom lip as if she were seeing her through her touch rather than her eyes. Quinn just let it happen and quietly watched Rachel, who even in the dim light of the night looked stunningly beautiful to her.

"I was thinking about us," Rachel said eventually. "About how strange it is that we are together. But even though it is strange, it feels as if it should've been this way all along. Don't you feel this way too?" Rachel's fingertips had reached Quinn's chin where they lingered for a second before she pulled back her hand.

"I do," Quinn breathed, already missing the feeling of Rachel's skin on hers. "I kind of wish we would've gotten to this point earlier, but at least we made it in the end," she added and scooted closer towards Rachel.

"Right," Rachel said and for a second it seemed as if guilt was washing over her face.

"But you were dating some guy back then, weren't you?" Quinn asked.

"Yeah," Rachel replied weakly, avoiding Quinn's eyes.

Quinn wanted to ask her about that guy, but after thinking about it, she decided to let it go. She didn't really want to know. It had hurt enough to see her with Finn and hear stories about him all the time. "I'm glad you broke up," she said instead.

The uneasiness on Rachel's face disappeared and she let out a laugh which sounded like that of an angel - not that she had ever heard an angel laugh. But if there were angels their laughs must sound like that.

"Me too," Rachel said and pressed a kiss on Quinn's cheek.

It had gotten a little chilly as the hot afternoon sun had been replaced by a cool late evening breeze. Quinn's eyes fell in the layer of goosebumps which were covering Rachel's arms. Not completely selflessly, she moved behind Rachel and slung her arms around her, so that Rachel's back was firmly pressed against her chest.

"Thanks for giving us a chance," Quinn whispered in the brunette's ear.

"No, thank you," Rachel replied. "I know it's not always easy to be with me."

Quinn wanted to protest and tell her that being with her was the most amazing thing that ever happened to her, but then she had to think about the emotional roller-coaster Rachel had put her through the past weeks and about what Kurt had told her. Thinking about how quickly Rachel had been willing to cancel their whole relationship had really hurt and it still did. Telling Rachel being with her was easy would be a lie and she didn't feel like lying.

"I love you," Quinn said instead, because that was entirely true.

"I love you too."

"I wish we could see the stars," Rachel sighed as she looked up into the sky and squinted. Yet, all she saw was the yellowish haze of city lights covering the night sky. "Do you see any?"

"Yes," Quinn replied with a smile as she watched Rachel shifting and tilting her head.

"Really? Where?"

"Right here," Quinn replied before she cupped Rachel's cheek, turned her head and pressed her lips on Rachel's.

"You're so cheesy," Rachel laughed against her lips without breaking the contact.

"I'm romantic," Quinn mumbled before she took Rachel's bottom lip between hers. "I know you love it."

Rachel opened her mouth to reply, but Quinn slid her tongue inside and shut her up.