1

AVERY

"You're an asshole, you know," the man said, snatching his drink from the counter with shaking fingers. He's lucky I didn't throw it at him.

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks." He didn't leave right away as I expected, instead sitting half-turned on the bar stool in front of me. "Go find someone your own age to hit on," I added, turning on my heel and leaving him to glare after me.

"Men being annoying again tonight?" Malorie asked, eyebrows raised in that sympathetic motherly way she always used on me even though we were the same age. "You could just tell them you're a lesbian."

I laughed, pulling my apron off and throwing it over a chair. "I know, but where's the fun in that?"

"I don't know," Malorie replied. "I just don't want to see you get hurt."

"Or fired. I know, Mal, but I won't. I can take care of myself." I was already half out the door when she asked where I was going. "Just need some air! Be right back," I called.

"Better not be smoking again," I heard her mutter as the door to the break room slammed shut.

I snuck through the back door and leaned against the outer wall of the bar, inhaling deep breaths of fresh, crisp air until the burning in my lungs went away. I could really use a smoke but Malorie would kill me if I went back in smelling like it, especially after she caught me smoking on my break earlier. Everyone knew I was addicted, but I didn't care.

I sighed, tilting my head back to gaze at the cloudy sky. "Things will get better," I reminded myself, as I always did around this time of the day.

Just as I was about to go back inside, a loud thunk made me turn back around, a gasp involuntarily escaping me. There was nothing in the dark alley. No strange lumps or noises. Nothing that could have made such a sound.

I took a step towards the dumpster, figuring a racoon got stuck inside it again, when the smell hit me like a train. The coppery scent of fresh blood, mixed with something that I couldn't recognize. "Gross," I whispered, turning back to the door and heading inside.

Whatever was out there was no business of mine.

Inside, the bar was still loud, seeming busier now than a few minutes ago. I grabbed my apron and tied it around my waist, brushing my bangs away from my face.

"Sammy went home," Malorie said from behind me. "He's sick."

I nodded, moving towards the counter. "Okay." Every bar stool was full. Thankfully I didn't see the man who was hitting on me earlier - he must have taken the hint.

"Excuse me, I've been waiting for ten minutes! Where's my Sex on the Beach?" a big-nosed woman exclaimed upon seeing me.

I groaned. "No idea," I said. "I just got here." Lie, but she didn't know.

"Well, can you get one for me?"

I raised a hand. "No need to be rude. I'll just be a second."

She scoffed as I turned away from her.

"She's already had a few," Malorie said when I joined her in the back. "That lady? She's drunk. Don't mind her."

I chuckled. "I really don't care. She can be a jerk all she wants. It doesn't affect me anyways."

I mixed her drink slowly, just to piss her off even more. Because I'm a jerk like that. Because I like to make people annoyed.

When I went back, the lady was making out with the older man who hit on me earlier. Match made in heaven. I left the drink at her spot and went to serve the next person.

Fifteen minutes later, my attention was caught by the long blonde hair of a girl elegantly sitting down at the end of the bar. She looked up at me and our eyes locked.

Hers were determined, seeming set on whatever she was thinking of. I'm sure mine were tired. I'd been up since five and was having the longest day of my life.

I went over to her. "Hey, can I get you something?"

She smiled, showing off small teeth, a few of which had sliver-like cracks running through them. "You could get me your number," she said. Her voice was smooth and high pitch. Sweet like a forbidden candy.

I laughed. "No, but I can get you a drink."

She shrugged daintily. "But that's not what I'm here for."

"Look," I said, leaning an elbow on the counter so we were closer. "I'm not interested, okay? I'm just here to do my job so I can pay for rent. Do you want a drink or not?"

Her smile widened, head tilted just slightly so that blonde curls fell over her shoulder. She hummed. "Okay. A bloody mary, please."

I nodded, standing up straight again. "It'll just be a minute."

I caught a flicker of something feral in her eyes before I turned away, a shiver running up my neck.

The drink was easy to make, and the bar was starting to quiet down. That meant my shift was almost over. "Mal, I'm leaving after this!" I called.

Malorie was cleaning the blenders, clearly eager to get home as well. "I can lock up," she said. "I'm almost done with these."

I grinned at the prospect of getting to leave early.

The drink was cold in my hand, beads of sweat dripping down the glass and pooling in my palm as I walked back to the bar counter.

"Here you are," I said, sliding the cup to the pretty blonde. "Price list is over there. You can give the money to Malorie when she comes up here."

Her eyes narrowed slightly. "Leaving so soon?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, not that it's any of your business," I grumbled, the weight of the day finally catching up to me. "I'll be back tomorrow, I'm sure. I practically live here."

She smiled, suddenly sweet again. "Have a good night," she said. Then she picked up her drink and swept off into the shadows of the dance floor.

"Weirdo," I muttered to myself as I made me way to my locker. "All of them, fucking weirdos."