Chapter 34 : The Battle.

Start from the beginning

Isabelle started breathing heavily. Tears welling in her eyes once more. She realized it's selfish of her to feel this way, when what they're about to do is to save Swiok Frary.

"This is what i came here to do in the first place Isabelle. To keep you safe, Let me do as promised"

There was nothing more she wanted than to know HE is safe, she can't bear to loose any one else. Especially Jacob. But she knows, it is his duty. His duty that bought him to her. And she can't keep him from executing them.

"Lena, Richard, you stay with the Queen." Jacob ordered.

"I can join" Francesco added, his hand gripping on his wife's. Aedric glanced at Jacob, giving him a slight nod.

"Don't trust you to join us, you stay back" Jacob declared.

"And if you do something, i'll burn you" Lena spoke.

"I've been told" He sighed.

........................................

Isabelle couldn't sleep for the rest of the morning. She sat where she always sat in her room. Outside on her balcony, watching the forest in front of her. The leaves on the trees danced in the wind as the sun started to rise, shades of the trees changed in color. Accompanied by singing birds on cue with animals in the distance, howl.

Am i really going to loose all i love? What could happen? What if something goes wrong?

Was all that rang inside her head like bells. she felt useless, not much of a help as all her friends and her loved ones risk their lives fighting. She didn't get to learn how to fight, but she watched Jacob train Tristan and Lena. She watched Aedric train too. But that wasn't enough for her. What is she going to do?

"There you are" came in a familiar voice. A voice she didn't know she needed to hear at the moment.

She looked up to meet the kind warm gaze of her aunt.

Márya stood in front of the seated queen, wearing a shawl around her shoulders as it was a chilly morning. Her hair let loose, the same length and volume as her niece.

"You know you can talk to me, you mustn't carry such a burden alone my love" the kind words of her aunt let loose all the tears Isabelle held back but was quick to wipe them away before she took notice.

"I'm scared, what if... what if something happens?"

Márya knelt down to meet her niece's gaze. Her hand reached out and caressed her cheek, wiping away what's left of her tears.

"It's hard, it's very hard to watch whom you love walk into such perils, and it's not easy, being a queen. Because such a thing is a sacrifice we must offer as we wear crowns. It's not fair Isabelle. It's a curse. And i wish, i wish it didn't have to be this way, but every sacrifice we make, guarantees that the next woman like you, doesn't have to watch those she loves, walk into a battlefield"

Isabelle drew a huge breath as she gripped tightly onto her aunt's hand.

"when your uncle had his wars, I spent all my time, every night lying awake, crying and praying and hoping he comes home. He comes back to me. I was never sure of his return every time he leaves. Even after Charlie's death, even when it put a strain on our marriage. Even when i hated him, i prayed he comes back to me. It's hard dear, but this, this is our fight. And at such a time we must stay strong. For us and for them"

The queen embraced her aunt in a tight hug, nuzzling her face on her neck. This is her fight. And she will be strong. For her and for them.