Pull Out

I woke up to a beam of sunshine dripping through the windows onto the brown colored carpet of Hopper's living room.

My head was pounding, my back cracked every time I turned to try and get more comfortable. Nothing made this pull out couch any better, though. I growled and threw the blanket from me. So much for sleeping in.

I had to pee, so incredibly bad, but when I jiggled the handle... the door was locked. The shower started and I heard hopper shout out,

"Help yourself to the kitchen!"

"I need to pee!"

So far living with Hopper was... annoying. It's only been two weeks and so far I couldn't ever get into the bathroom at the right time, my back was aging faster than my face, the variety of cereals were minimal and he never folded his laundry from the dryer.

"There's a perfect bush in the backyard..."

I rolled my eyes and made my way to the kitchen table after starting a pot of coffee.

I stared nonchalantly out of the window and notice in the distance, across the street, Elliot's mom, Shannon. She looked panicked and after having the door shut in her face, she started her way to Hopper's place.

I got up from my chair quickly and that's when Hopper walked out of the bathroom, towel wrapped at his waist.

"Put on some clothes or something dude!" I yell in a whisper and cover my eyes slightly.

Hopper smirks, "stop looking, kid."

The doorbell rings and Hopper's face flushes.

I open the door immediately and watch Shannon curl her lip.

"Jim? An 18 year old?"

"Says the married woman." His eyes narrow at her.

Another conversation for another time.

"Not what it looks like. My parents kicked me out and it's his fault... and kind of Elliot's. She hasn't reached out in wee-"

"That's what I'm here to ask you about. She's not missing per-say, but she was starting a new job, some sort of testing, I didn't want her to do it and in protest, she left. I don't know where she is. She's an adult, I just-I just want to make sure she's okay." Shannon's voice cracked.

"I-I'm sorry Shannon, she's not here..."

"A-Alright. Have a good day. Except you, Jim. You could've called..."

"If you didn't notice, I've been busy."

"Not what Madeline told me three days ago." Shannon scoffs.

"Take care of yourself, Hannah." With that, Shannon leaves.

Elliot isn't... home?

"Your friend that got you into trouble ran away? You punks are too cute. Going to start a gang that shoplifts from the mall and sells beer to kids for profit?" Hopper laughs, pulling a shirt over his body.

I didn't mean to stare but I caught myself staring.

He wasn't the most fit, just an average guy, body built like most men his age, but I was staring. Something about getting comfortable with him over the last week made his stupid jokes and his wet biceps... appealing, something about him being nicer to me than my parents was... warming.

I quickly dart my eyes in another direction before he can notice and I sigh.

"That's not how it works. We don't even have leather jackets." I chuckle in response.

"I- I don't know though, that doesn't sound like Elliot." I bite my lip, thinking about it.

In all honesty, I was concerned, but I wasn't about to let Hopper know that.

"Are you worried? Should I do something about it?" There he is again, caring about my life, my emotions.

I hated it when he was nice because it made me feel safe. I don't want Hopper to make me feel safe.

"No. I'm sure it's fine. I also never thought she'd ditch me for a guy so you know... people change."

The coffee maker beeps and Hopper's face lights up.

"You're wearing a... regular button up. What's the occasion?" I ask, leaning against the frame of the kitchen.

I watch him pour himself a mug, and I barely noticed it but, he poured one for me, too.

He walks over and puts the hot liquid into my hand, the mug warming my palms. I smile down into the brown water and take a satisfying sip.

"Meeting with Diane. My soon to be ex wife. She's been trying to get me to sign the papers but I haven't had it in me. After some... time though I think I'm ready."

I raise a brow at him and laugh a little bit.

"You mean after sleeping around?"

Hopper chokes on his coffee a little bit, some dribbling off of his bottom lip.

"What?!" He chokes out, wiping his mouth.

"I may be 18 and may not have boyfriend but I'm not a virgin or an idiot, Hop. Shannon was saying some seriously weird stuff. Even sleeping with married women? Never pegged you for a man whore." I shrug and glance back over to the pull out couch, loathing it's existence.

"Keep it to yourself, and we won't have problems."

"Maybe I want problems." I smile.

"Hannah..."

"Relax, man, I'm not going to spill your beans. Living with you is annoying but I also like being here way more than my parents. I'm not going to push your buttons."

"You're always pushing my buttons." He laughs.

"Part of my charm."

Hopper glances down at his watch and notices the time. He rinses his mug out and straightens his belt before pulling me in for a hug and... a kiss on top of my head.

My heart practically stops and he freezes in place after the sentiment.

"I'm sorry, that was just a reflex. I haven't lived with anyone in a long time."

"So my presence is turning you into a big softy?" I shove passed him.

"Soft enough to maybe get me a new bed?" I smile and bounce.

"Wait, what?"

"Please, dad?" I joke.

"Hannah-" I watch his face go beat red.

"You can just take my bed for the time being, we can alternate between pull out and mattress. And I'll... think about the bed. Go into town and look for jobs. Maybe that'll sweeten the deal, couch surfer."

"Actually?" I say surprised.

"Okay. Yeah. That works."

Hopper grabs his keys, sunglasses and nods at me.

"Good luck." I say softly while making my way to the bathroom.

I still had to pee.

"Thanks, kid."