Chapter 14

They stood like that for what seemed like an eternity. Sasha was motionless as her heart was both racing and block hard. Rahel was getting annoyed and Ben a little frustrated at the fact that they were just standing around like statues without getting any answers to even the first question that Rahel asked.

"Sasha, who is Vasya? Why aren't you answering?" Silence.

"You are our team leader, Sasha. You can't hide something important from us that has to do with someone we all flew halfway around the world for." Still silence. Rahel wasn't giving up and continued to prod.

"Oh, give me a break; he cannot be such a big deal to guard with your life."

             Whether Rahel intended it or not, her choice of words and tone did it; Sasha exploded.

"No big deal?!? You have no idea what he went through! What I went through at only 6 years old! I watched him die! I watched his body disintegrate in front of my eyes! He nearly choked on his tongue, and I watched as he threw it up along with his teeth across the room! The noise his tongue made as it, and the blood hit the wall, is a sound that I will remember as long as I live. His skin came off in small patches on everything he touched. When he went to the bathroom; the orderlies said that his intestines came out of him! The Soviet government ordered him and others like him to Chernobyl for clean up and didn't give any of them proper safeguarding equipment; they were basically wearing raincoats. He had no idea what was even happening to him or what radiation even was. He had acute radiation poisoning and lived only a month after coming here! Tell me again how that is no big deal! Are you both fucking happy now?!?"

            The entire story of Vasya spilled out in all of its gory details as the other two stood rooted to their spots in stunned and horrified silence as they listened. As Sasha spoke, tears cascaded down her cheeks, and it was as if the rest of the universe stopped and mourned with her. Every animal and rodent in the area just stopped making noise as it listened to her testimony. Up until that point, she didn't really realize that she hadn't mourned adequately.

           By the time Sasha finished the whole gruesome tale, the three were sitting on the ground by a campfire someone had set up. Sasha was completely and utterly emotionally drained as she stared into the fire. She had never felt this way before, but at the same time, she felt strangely at peace. It seemed like Vasya was giving her permission to open up. After sitting there by the fire for what seemed like an eternity, Sasha had a question of her own.

"How did you figure out about Vasya?" She asked out of curiosity and not malice. Rahel and Ben smiled at each other, and Rahel was the one who replied.

"Well, the sleuthing wasn't that hard honestly. You initially hiding the journal from us, made us question its importance." Ben picked up the next one.

"Than came your reaction to Vasily when you were first introduced. It made no sense to either of us of why you would have such a reaction." Rahel finished it up for her.

"Lastly, Alexei inadvertently helped because I recognized the Russian lettering in his shorthand that was the exact match to Vasya's name on your journal. He had written Vasily as Vasya in his notes and explained that to me. So after telling Ben, we realized that though the names were the same, the people had to be different. But it was that clue that cemented that whoever this Vasya was, had to do with Chernobyl and why you were here doing this story in part."

             Another small silence followed until Rahel gathered up the courage to tell Sasha what she thought would be best for her in these circumstances.

"Sasha, you have to tell Vasya's story. As part of the April issue. He was the one who brought you here and the universe aligned properly just so you could come and do all of this for the 30th anniversary. I believe everything was Vasya's doing. His spirit is putting all of these opportunities in your way so you could ultimately tell his story as well. He is leading you towards the beginning of all of this. I mean, think about absolutely everything that has happened since you first got this project from your editor."

           Both Ben and Sasha were amazed at the way Rahel was speaking. It was the deepest she had ever gotten, and it was entirely out of character with the woman they had known thus far. The only problem with that was that they really didn't know her at all but only what Rahel presented to them. Yes, she was very self-absorbed, but she was also a spiritual person who believed in signs from the universe and heaven. In her mind, everything clicked once Sasha finally told the entire story of Vasya.

"I am honestly unsure I am ready to share his story with the rest of the world. You both are one thing, but not even my parents know of his existence. His journal and my soul are the only places where I have kept him for nearly 30 years." Sasha said uncertainly, Ben was the one who waded in this time.

"Look, Sasha, we understand you're unsure about this and that there are many different accounts of people who were there or witnessed the horrible passing of others. But there aren't any stories from the eyes of a six-year-old little girl who mostly had her childhood dashed from watching such a gory display of dying from a man that genuinely didn't mean to get her involved. He befriended you out of loneliness but ended up losing his life right in front of you in literal pieces from this invisible, odorless, and tasteless murderer."

           Sasha listened calmly, still staring into the fire as he continued.

"Your story would bring a realness to the Chernobyl disaster unlike previously seen or heard of before. It will also be a grandly authentic step for NatGeo for this project as a whole, to tie everything together seamlessly. As for your family, they of all people will be shocked, but I believe they are the type that will support you no matter what." Ben finished, kindly.

          Sasha nodded at both of them, and after all, was said and done, they separated to go back to their respective tents for the night. The following day would be their last in Pripyat before heading back to the capital. She couldn't sleep for many hours and just lay awake thinking about everything that had been shared; finally, she got up and walked outside. Looking up at the star-filled sky in wonder, she saw a shooting star. Nodding as she got her answer to the only real question that filled her mind. This decision was life-changing, but she knew that it was the right one even though nothing would ever be the same again; regardless of that, she smiled.