⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Just like that." She walked around the taller man. "Give Wren my regards, will you? I suspect I'll be seeing her soon."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Elijah gave a brief nod, waving over the graveyard crew he had compelled to come with him. This was to be a messy job.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren stood outside of the bar, tapping her toe. Rebekah was inside, getting information from Sophie.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Sophie trusted her about as far as she could throw her, so it was better if she kept her distance. There was a war brewing with the witches, they all felt it. As soon as she power shifted from Valeriya to Wren, new alliances would have to be made.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀New alliances, old enemies.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Rebekah soon emerged from the bar, a smug smirk on her flawless face. "I know where she is."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren gave her a look. "Good, go get her. I have to be there for the burial, or else it won't work. I'll also have to be in the ritual if I'm to allow Svetlana's magic to flow through me. What's left of it, anyway."

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Rebekah gave a nod and zoomed off as Wren called Klaus to come get her. Elijah had just texted her that he arrived at the cemetery with Svetlana, and that Keiran was preparing the burial rights.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus was there in no time. "Darling," he smirked, grabbing her around the waist. "Ready to put someone else in a grave?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Aren't I always?" she said dryly. The wind rushed over her skin. Her hair whipped at her face, leaving red streaks across her pale skin. Vampires sucked.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀They arrived at the cemetery, Wren breathless. She put her feet firmly on the ground, wavering for a moment.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"A little warning next time?" she questioned shakily. Walking forward, she left him standing there as she headed for the reluctant priest. Anybody in the vicinity could smell the rotting body in the shabby coffin. The compelled humans lowered it down into the grave, discomfort on their otherwise emotionless faces.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Good, let's begin." Keiran revealed a crucifix from his coat pocket. He held it in front of him, lowering his head as he began to murmur - too low for Wren's human ears to pick up.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When he finally looked up at her, his eyebrows were scrunched together in concern. "Are you ready to do this?" he asked.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus produced a silver blade from his pocket, holding it loosely in his hand.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren breathed out, nodding. She took the blade from him, ignoring the way he stiffened. Taking a deep breath, she brought to the blade to her palm and pressed down, sliding it against her skin.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus took the blade from her, handing it to Keiran before moving to check on his mate. The smell of her blood made his instincts go wild. He grabbed her arm, looking over the cut.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"It's just a little cut," Wren mumbled to him, "I'll let you patch it up later." Her permission gave him a little comfort.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He took a napkin from his pocket, pressing it to her hand to stop the bleeding. It was a small gesture, but it kept him from worrying about it for now.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keiran cast the blade into the new grave, announcing, "It is done." He returned his crucifix to his pocket, giving a nod to the original and the witch before he promptly left the cemetery. He didn't want to be there when they executed that girl.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Rebekah soon showed up, a grave look on her face.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Did you find them?" Klaus asked her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Rebekah nodded.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Will he bring her?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀A sigh. "He'll bring her." It didn't give Wren any comfort. As the night went on, the pit in her stomach grew. Were they doing the right thing? She hoped so.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren stood by, watching as Marcel walked up the center aisle of the cemetery. The shivering girl in his arms looked incredibly frightened, but there was an acceptance to her eyes. Fire followed them wherever they went. Braziers burst to life as they passed.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Rain poured down overhead, creating puddles and rivers at their feet.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀On a stone in front of the group were three girls, dead for three months but preserved by magic. Their expressionless faces would soon be joined by Davina's.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The girl was placed onto the stone and allowed to stand up. She stood straight, despite knowing her fate. Her quivering lips parted in fear as Sophie took a blade from her pocket and held it over a brazier.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren clenched her jaw, stiffening. She had seen death, but the sacrifice was something that her coven would never allow. It felt wrong. A warm hand slid into hers, squeezing.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Klaus didn't look at her, but he knew. He knew what she was feeling, how monstrous it all seemed.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Sophie stepped up onto the stone, standing in front of the teenager. "Do you believe in the harvest?" she asked solemnly.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Davina nodded shakily.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Wren tried to keep her shaky breath at bay, but her heart clenched in her chest at the sight. She was a child. Barley sixteen, and yet she had to die so that the rest of her coven could have access to magic again. This was wrong.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Taking a breath, Sophie raised the blade and drug it across Davina's throat, slicing the pale skin open. Crimson poured out.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The rain above them stopped. The fires went out. Her magic calmed.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was done.