Chapter 1

Sisterly Competition

"Sisters never quite forgive each other for what happened when they were five." ~Pam Brown

"Rise and shine, Lily Divine!" a voice sang sweetly.

I twisted in my sheets to avoid the sound. "Go away, James," I snarled.

"James? Really, Lily? What are you using this Heads Dorm for? Is there something you're not telling me?"

"Mmrph," I grumbled back as I shut my eyes tightly.

"It's a bright new day!"

I growled as I heard the sound of curtains being yanked open. The light temporarily blinded me, and I quickly stuffed my face under my pillow to avoid the abhorrent sunlight.

"See look, sunlight! Remember, sunlight? You used to go outside before exams started."

I squeezed my eyelids even tighter.

"Time to get up and join the awake people, Lily!"

"Go away," I told the voice angrily. "I'm sleeping."

"You're not sleeping if you're answering me," the voice pointed out gleefully.

"Sleep talking," I mumbled back. "Very common."

I felt a weight plop down on the left side of the bed and squirmed to the other side.

"Not so fast, Lilykins! It's time to get up. Wakey wakey!"

I focused back on my previous dream and tried to envision myself among the dancing monkeys. The chimps had formed a conga line while the gorillas were shaking maracas shaped like bananas.

"Lily!"

"Leave me alone," I argued as I blindly swatted away the arms flapping in front of my face.

"C'mon, Lily! You have to get up, or you won't have time to get breakfast before the train leaves."

Train? What train was she talking about?

"Merlin's pinky toe!" I screeched, sitting up in bed. "We're leaving Hogwarts today."

Hestia smiled at me hugely. "There's my best friend," she remarked happily.

"Oh my Merlin!" I shrieked.

Hestia squealed girlishly and tackled me into a hug.

I embraced her eagerly as the excitement flooded through me. After the time for a normal friend hug started to fade into hazy lesbian territory, Hestia released me and sunk back into my pillows.

I pulled my knees to my chest. "I can't believe we finished school," I said in a dazed voice.

"That's probably because you went into a testing coma once N.E.W.T.s started. I think I had to force you to shower at one point. Not fun," she recalled, wrinkling her nose. "Though, James did pay me five galleons for it."

I smacked her arm before falling back onto my pillow. "It's really over," I said to myself. "I've imagined this day for years, but I'd never actually thought it'd happen."

"You better believe it, Lils," she told me. "We are officially done with Hogwarts. No more classes, no more books, no more house-elf yummy cooks."

I sighed. "Damn," I realized. "I'm going to miss the place. Leaving doesn't seem as great as I thought it would be. This sucks."

"Agreed," Hestia said solemnly. Suddenly, she started bouncing on my bed. "So, speaking of sucking, how come you thought I was James? Do you normally expect him in your bedroom in the wee hours of the morning?"