ii. Pretty Hate Machine

Start from the beginning

       "And keep your voice down in the hall," says Mrs Weasley, to Harry. She looks worried. Mia thinks this is funny. Mia's the only one that can actually stop her grandmother's portrait from screaming at people. She likes to think of it as her superhero. Like, it makes sense that her dad makes the portrait even angrier, but even her mum, who had met Walburga a couple of times thanks to obligatory take-Mia-to-see-her-only-living-grandparent trips, can't help her out. And, like, Emilia Salvatore, nee Black, has not offended anyone... Ever.

       "Why?" says Harry.

       Is it bad Mia's glad her dad hasn't ran out to hug him?

       "I don't want to wake anything up," says Mrs Weasley.

       "What d'you—?" says Harry, but he's cut off.

       "I'll explain later, but I'm supposed to be at the meeting," says Mrs Weasley. She catches Mia sulking on the bottom step, like a seven-year-old that destroyed someone else's toy. "Mia, dear, could you show Harry where he's staying?"

       Mia pulls the most sickly-sweet smile imaginable. Mrs Weasley buys the sweet as sugar act, along with Mia's wonderfully named Adult Voice, a mix of incredible politeness and the upbeat customer service voice she subconsciously dons whenever she's working at the café.

       "Absolutely," says Mia.

       Mrs Weasley thanks her, and Mia keeps on smiling, until the door closes, and Mia frowns, turning to Harry. "You're on the second floor," she tells him. The Adult Voice dies instantly. He picks up his trunk. Should be fine. He plays Quidditch, doesn't he? "At least I presume you're sharing with your friend, and not having a room to yourself."

       She starts to walk up the stairs.

       "What do—?"

       "Didn't you hear Mrs Weasley?" says Mia. "You're not supposed to talk here? You'll wake up the portrait."

       Mia feels fantastic.

       Mia doesn't know if she likes Harry or not. Part of her wonders if the dislike she does have for him, stems from the fact that she doesn't like how much her dad loves him. It's ugly to say, but she's jealous. Everyone's jealous of something, it's just that Mia's fully accepting of the fact that she's jealous of him. Because she is. Sirius is her dad, not his. He should've found her, when he broke into Hogwarts. What makes Harry so fucking special that her dad's chosen him over her?

       Merlin, thinking about this makes Mia even more excited for the date she's got tomorrow afternoon. Her mum's worried about Mia staying out late in London, so instead she's going out for lunch, to a nice chain restaurant that sells pizza or something... The idea of spending two hours talking about someone else, maybe kissing someone attractive, makes her feel so much better.

       Harry gets to the landing. Mia motions to the bedroom that he's sharing with Ron, looking unimpressed.

       "It's that one," she says.

       "Thanks," he says. "Erm... I'm sorry about Cedric."

       Mia goes quiet. She grits her teeth together.

       "I bet you are," says Mia.

       She walks upstairs. Her room's on the floor above, so it's only an extra flight, which is nice, considering she's this close to bursting into tears. She misses Cedric... Some days she's fine, other days she just thinks, I want him back, just for a minute. Today had been fine. Now she misses him again.