The change in stiles' emotions was abrupt and obvious. Derek noticed it. Stiles went from looking relaxed and tired to agitated, saddened and on edge. Derek didn't know what he had said to upset the boy, or if it were to do with what he had said at all, but he did know he did not like it. The emotionless expression on stiles face scared Derek a little bit, although he had been a fully equipped doctor for over a year now, he had never experienced someone with stiles' problems. He had never had to deal with someone who inflicted pain upon themselves. If someone came in with a mauled body because of a car crash, Derek could patch them up and send them on their way without a second thought, but stiles, there was something different. He broke Derek's heart.

When stiles had first arrived on the stretcher from the back of the ambulance, Derek was immediately there to assess the problem. From the blood Derek thought the victim had been involved in some serious car crash, as usually were the case. However as he ran to the person, he quickly discovered that it was a teenage boy with two bandages wrists and a dead look about him. Instead of wondering what happened Derek immediately jumped into action, pulling the stretcher through the hospital door whilst calling out to his team.

When they were properly situated, Derek removes the bandages to find tens if not hundreds of cuts, wounds and gashes working their way from the boys wrist to his elbows. Some of them were merely scratches that looked to have been healing whilst the others were deep incisions that would leave very obvious raised scars for life. Derek got to work cleaning the cuts, whilst his team worked to stablise the boy with oxygen and a drip.

After hours of hard work stitching and bandaging both the boys arms and legs, then assessing the partially healed wounds on his abdomen, the team finally got the boy to a safe point and where able to rest for a while. Derek should have been doing the same, however he couldn't get the boy out of his mind.

After getting some fluids and blood back into him the boy had started to look less dead, however his skeletal figure and hollow eyes didn't do much to support this. Derek has stayed by the boys side, shocked and bewildered at the state of his body.
Most of the cuts looked self inflicted however his small body was scattered with bruised and lacerations, all which weren't done by himself.
This had Derek wondering what the boy had been through, why he was beaten black and blue and most importantly why someone so young and beautiful had tried to end their own life in the most gruesome manner.

The boys looks hadn't gone unnoticed to Derek. The soft brown hair and porcelain skin dotted with moles were obvious to Derek as well as the plump, full lips as well as the wide whisky eyes. However this was not the time for Derek to be thinking about the stunning looks of one of his patients because one, he was a patient and two, the boy was in critical condition and needed help, a lot of help.

Derek has been forced to run to help another patient once stiles was comatose, however in the days to come he could not get the boy out of his head.

———————————

"Stiles, I really don't want to upset you and I promise you I'm going to be here for you, but for your own sake I need you to explain what's happened and how you ended up here because it is crucial for us to help you the best way possible"
Derek spoke soothingly but stiles would not talk.
After a few moments of silence Derek continued

"I am on your side here, I promise. But if you refuse to talk we're going to have to transfer you to a psychiatrist in eichen house" Derek mumbles dejectedly and stiles head snapped to the side.

"NO! please no don't send me there, holy fuck please anywhere else. I'm not a fucking crazy person" stiles screeched and Derek was instantly calming him down.

"Stiles, the last place I want to send you is that hellhole, I swear. But it's my order to do so I'd we can't make a full evaluation of your mental state, so if you cooperate with me I promise to do my best to help you personally" Derek stated with a small, shy flash of white teeth.

"Okay" stiles nodded and swallowed out of nervousness.

"There's nothing to worry about, and if everything gets too much we can just stop and take a break okay?" Stiles nodded in response again.

" okay let's start then" Derek said whilst flipping through a clipboard of what stiles presumed to be questions.

"Are the wounds on your arms, legs and abdomen self-inflicted?" Derek asked calmly having already known the answer but he needed a direct answer from stiles.

"Yes" stiles muttered into his hand.

" okay, your doing great, okay to carry on?" Stiles nodded.

" how long have you been inflicting wounds upon yourself?"

Stiles shrugged.
" I'm not sure, a few years maybe" he mumbled.

Derek nodded his head whilst scribbling notes doen onto the clipboard.

"Did you purposely try to end you life, or was it accidental?" Stiles swallowed thickly.

"Purposely" he clenched his jaw as nervous butterflies erupted in his stomach. Derek continued to scribble.

"I noticed other injuries, such as bruises and lacerations, are those self inflicted or done by another personnel?" Derek spoke whilst meeting stiles eye for the first time since he began his questioning.

Stiles didn't want to answer. He didn't know how.

"Erm" stiles mumbled whilst he began to chew at him knuckles, his way of grounding himself off of the pain without seeming to be.

Derek instantly pulled his hand away, holding onto the back of his hand for a fraction longer than necessary but not obviously long. Stiles confused eyes met Derek's painfilled ones. Stiles instantly dropped his hand.

"Stiles, are the other injuries done by other people?" Derek reiterated and stiles was terror struck. Derek saw his fright immediately.

"Stiles are you in danger of repeated bodily harm from anyone?" Derek asked more worried this time.

"I-I-erm" stiles stuttered whilst trying to come up with a good excuse as to the injuries on his body, but coming up with nothing.

"Stiles." Derek grumbled our with more force behind his voice this time.

" I-I don't want to talk, I wanna stop" stiles heart rate started to increase as panic swooped over him for what's eemed the millionth time that night. A look of regret instantly dawned over Derek's features, as he mumbled a quick sorry and stood to exit the room.

Tears collected in stiles' eyes. He was such a disappointment. So pathetic that he couldn't even answer a few damn questions. He'd already managed to piss Derek off in a matter of minutes.
He was always such a disappointment.